Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: matt4626 on April 27, 2012, 01:17:32 pm

Title: Help with new monitor
Post by: matt4626 on April 27, 2012, 01:17:32 pm
Finally switched from my old Sony CRT to a NEC Multisync. As expected the monitor appears very bright compared to the CRT. I've read I should adjust the "luminance" but I can't find anywhere to do it. This monitor comes with it's own calibration software and hardware...but still seem too bright...what am I missing?
NEC PA231w
Thanks for any and all help. ???
Title: Re: Help with new monitor
Post by: chrismurphy on April 27, 2012, 03:01:20 pm
http://www.necdisplay.com/support-and-services/multi-profiler/downloads

The first panel that comes up in MultiProfiler is likely the only one you'll ever need. Brightness can be brought down quite a bit but chances are it won't go as low as your CRT.
Title: Re: Help with new monitor
Post by: chrismurphy on April 27, 2012, 07:40:11 pm
Oh, and "Brightness" = white luminance. "Black level" = black luminance.
Title: Re: Help with new monitor
Post by: matt4626 on April 27, 2012, 09:06:27 pm
Thanks...does this replace or compliment the profile system?
Title: Re: Help with new monitor
Post by: chrismurphy on April 28, 2012, 06:35:37 pm
MultiProfiler will extract custom measurement data from the display, placed there during display manufacturing. After adjusting the display per your requirements, it will generate an ICC profile for that condition, and inform the OS which[1] in turn will inform Photoshop/Lightroom.


[1] At least Mac OS informs Photoshop/Lightroom. I'm not sure if this is an instant even on Windows off hand or if you need to quit the app and relaunch.
Title: Re: Help with new monitor
Post by: matt4626 on April 29, 2012, 12:20:16 pm
Thanks I think I've got it now! ;D