Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: Enda Cavanagh on April 24, 2012, 12:15:18 pm

Title: Beautiful house and a beautiful location!
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on April 24, 2012, 12:15:18 pm
I don't normally post my architectural images on LL but I took photos of this house in West Cork recently. It was such a fun project. The architect was great and the family who lived there were about as good a host as anyone could wish for. The location was amazing. I had to just pause and take it all in as I photographed.

The photo is composed of 4 sets of images with different lens movements on the Cambo, taken with the 47mm lens (that's about 35mm in 35mm format) As you can see the clouds are seamless, even though there were a total of 20 images (from under to over exposed) plus calibration shots in the time it took to take the whole series. Also ther e are multiple small scattered clouds.  I only had to mess with one cloud to get it right. I really am impressed with the stitching of CS5. It has a very intelligent algorithm.

I love the flying elephant cloud around the middle  :)

(http://www.endacavanagh.com/Enda's%20Images/Images%20for%20Luminous%20Landscape/Casey%20House_1021853%20sharpened.jpg)

You can view it and more from the house on my website by clicking here (http://www.endacavanagh.com/architecture)
They are the first series of images. You should click "View larger Image" above the top left of the image to see them in a nice big size for this of you with 24" monitors or bigger.

BTW apologies for the banding on the right. It's due to JPG compression  :)

Many thanks

Enda
Title: Re: Beautiful house and a beautiful location!
Post by: sdwilsonsct on April 24, 2012, 02:37:23 pm
there were a total of 20 images (from under to over exposed) plus calibration shots

Egad. You must have worked fast to deal with changes in light and shadows. Great result.
Scott
Title: Re: Beautiful house and a beautiful location!
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on April 24, 2012, 03:10:42 pm
Hi Scott
I honestly don't do anything special really to achieve it. You can't set auto bracket on the view camera. I have to change the shutter speed and cock the shutter between each exposure which does take that bit more time than say an SLR user. The secret is to try and group the underexposed shots together as you go along. It's a bit harder when you go beyond 2 sets of images but I started at the longest exposure to the shortest with the left part of the image, than shortest to the longest on the next part, than the shortest to the longest on the next part and once more from the shortest to the longest. That way the time between all of the under exposed shots are kept as close as possible together. If it was a windy day with clouds that would become more difficult to achieve and would require more work in CS to blend portions of the sky together but it was a nice still day so I had more freedom to get it right.
Title: Re: Beautiful house and a beautiful location!
Post by: Walt Roycraft on April 24, 2012, 06:03:23 pm
Nicely done!
Title: Re: Beautiful house and a beautiful location!
Post by: MTGFender on April 25, 2012, 06:54:21 am
Truly amazing landscape!