Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: PeterAit on April 22, 2012, 12:42:11 pm

Title: Bad things come in threes?
Post by: PeterAit on April 22, 2012, 12:42:11 pm
I am not normally superstitious, but last week gave me pause. I have 3 computers, a Dell laptop used for paying work, a Dell desktop I use for photo editing, and a generic desktop I use as a network server. Last week all 3 failed - boot disk failures on the 2 desktops and a keyboard failure on the laptop. Criminy, do I have poltergeists? Fortunately, all was readily fixed, but I began to wonder! They do say that bad things come in threes.
Title: Re: Bad things come in threes?
Post by: degrub on April 22, 2012, 03:39:41 pm
Had any lightning strikes nearby recently ?

The MOVs in surge arrestor strips/UPS boxes wear out over time with surges. And they need to protect the ground leg as well.

Frank