Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 21, 2012, 03:37:03 pm

Title: Google finally proved I am a robot!
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on April 21, 2012, 03:37:03 pm
I've been using Google's URL shortener a lot recently. Quite convenient, with the result automatically highlighted, and a helpful reminder to just use a copy shortcut on your computer. Quick and easy.

Until today.

Today I discovered they want me to prove to them I am not a robot. I tried. And tried. Like, six times. Every time failing miserably. Which led me to the sad conclusion I indeed must be a robot.

And it is not that I am new to the ReCaptchaâ„¢ concept. Done it millions of times with just one try. But the Google ones are so difficult to decipher, even when I use a heavy screen zoom feature on my Mac, that I gave up. After all, if it is to become a fight agains machine, a chore, why bother.

Other URL shorteners, here I come!
Title: Re: Google finally proved I am a robot!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 21, 2012, 05:38:10 pm
Resistance is futile, Slobodan! You have been assimilated by the Borg. Henceforth nothing can go wrong can go wrong can go wr...

Eric

P.S. I hate Captchas of almost all kinds that I have encountered. Why can't they just ask a clever question like this:

Q: What's the difference between a duck?
A: One of its feet are both the same.
Title: Re: Google finally proved I am a robot!
Post by: JBerardi on April 21, 2012, 10:06:38 pm
Why use one at all? I see nothing but problems with the whole concept... for one thing they're blind, I have no idea what I'm clicking on, which I absolutely hate. Two, they're not future-proof, they can all be invalidated if the service you use stops existing or does something dumb, and there's dozens of these services now so you know some of them are going to goof up or die eventually. And with a few exceptions (Twitter being the main one I see), a hyperlink is a much better solution. Or even just a raw URL-- is the internet running out of space or something?
Title: Re: Google finally proved I am a robot!
Post by: wolfnowl on April 22, 2012, 01:32:45 am
I use custom bit.ly links for some of my blog posts on Lightroom and stuff, but some sites don't allow shortened links at all.  BTW, Eric, I thought the answer was, 'Because the higher they get the fewer'.  Musta had it wrong.

Mike.
Title: Re: Google finally proved I am a robot!
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 22, 2012, 03:55:59 am
I use custom bit.ly links for some of my blog posts on Lightroom and stuff, but some sites don't allow shortened links at all.  BTW, Eric, I thought the answer was, 'Because the higher they get the fewer'.  Musta had it wrong.

Mike.

Right answer, Mike, but wrong question. You were thinking of "Why did the cow that flies?"

Anyway, we've all known for ages that Slobodan comes from the planet Tharg.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Google finally proved I am a robot!
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 22, 2012, 06:08:36 pm
Thanks Mike and Jeremy. I've always wondered about the cow.

Eric