Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Photobird on April 16, 2012, 10:35:05 pm

Title: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: Photobird on April 16, 2012, 10:35:05 pm
Hi

I posted this in Colour Management without much response so thought I'd try here. I'm still just a beginner with colour management, be gentle  .

I have a NEC PA241W, use SpectraviewII and have created some calibration targets for photo editing and for glossy papers eg. GFS. and use sRGB mode to check critical exports.

Am using Lightroom 4.0, have watched LuLa LR4 & C2P2 tutorials (and many others, love them) and am trying to learn how to use softproofing.

My question is about using softproofing and Spectraview targets.
Do people leave monitor on one target for editing and soft-proofing ?
Or do you change targets to simulate the print? If you change monitor target do you check "simulate paper" in Softproofing?
Trying to understand if this would be double counting (double profiling).
I'm thinking I should use Spectraview to simulate the print and use Softproofing (with profile) to check out of gamut & rendering intent.
But if I change the monitor, doesn't this change the before view in before/after ?

What is recommended practice? Jeff / Michael ?
(apologies if this is in the video somewhere and i missed it - if so let me know which one).

cheers, Craig
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: Schewe on April 16, 2012, 10:43:01 pm
My question is about using softproofing and Spectraview targets.
Do people leave monitor on one target for editing and soft-proofing ?
Or do you change targets to simulate the print?

I use a single Spectraview target that allows me to match softproofing to my print display. I see not real reason to be switching targets.
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: Photobird on April 16, 2012, 10:49:01 pm
That's Mr Schewe, wow that was quick.

So do you do everything with just one target?
 -edit your Masters
- softproof prints
- export to jpg?

Craig
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: Tony Jay on April 17, 2012, 05:38:18 am
Craig I cannot speak for Schewe, nonetheless I do as he suggests - use one appropriate target.

Regards

Tony Jay
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: digitaldog on April 17, 2012, 09:55:31 am
The main reason to switch targets is to update the contrast ratio of the display versus the print. You don’t have to do it. But controlling the contrast ratio, something SpectraView can do, is more effective than expecting the simulation of ink and paper from the profile to do all the heavy lifting. I would not go too crazy here (300:1 vs. 250:1) but if you have a ratio that is quite different, give it a try. The rest of the target calibration should remain the same unless you are working with differing print viewing conditions like a GTI Booth and Solux lamps.
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: howardm on April 17, 2012, 01:15:50 pm
Andrew,

If you're setting the monitor to approx 300:1 ratio, does that mean you should (or should not) still check/click on the 'simulate paper & black' in the softproof?
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: Schewe on April 17, 2012, 01:24:37 pm
Regardless of what contrast range you have your display set at, the odds are your display will STILL have a wider contrast range than your prints. So, yes, you still need to use the simulate paper and black ink on. Soft proofing is really more about dealing with the differences in contrast range and tone compression than out of gamut colors assuming you are printing to a wider gamut pro printer.
Title: Re: LR4 Soft proofing and NEC SpectraviewII Targets
Post by: digitaldog on April 17, 2012, 01:33:36 pm
If you're setting the monitor to approx 300:1 ratio, does that mean you should (or should not) still check/click on the 'simulate paper & black' in the softproof?

On because the simulation is handling more than just contrast ratio. The color of white of the paper is hopefully properly described (and used) with the ICC profile.