Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: lmwacctg on April 08, 2012, 11:17:23 am

Title: Travel to Paris via Air Canada
Post by: lmwacctg on April 08, 2012, 11:17:23 am
Traveling to Paris mid next week and was wondering if anyone had experience with bringing a portable (folds to 21 inch) tripod on board the plane?

I've checked their rules and regs and can find no inclusion or exclusion.

Spoke to Aeroplan and they basically said the same (no exclusions as long as it meets the carry on restrictions).

Thoughts?

Don
Title: Re: Travel to Paris via Air Canada
Post by: stevenf on April 08, 2012, 12:29:13 pm
I have never had any issues travelling Air Canada to the Yukon, Chile and New Zealand. I have a gitzo gt3530ls.

Steven

http://www.friedmanphoto.com (http://www.friedmanphoto.com)
Title: Re: Travel to Paris via Air Canada
Post by: RFPhotography on April 08, 2012, 06:49:51 pm
Never had a problem carrying a tripod on board pre- or post-9/11 but that was before the crackdown on carry-on bags. 

Since around 2009, speaking only from personal experience, airlines have been much stickier about what's allowed on carry-on.  Even if it fits the size requirement, I've been denied.  Baggage fees have become a BIG revenue generator for airlines in the last 2-3 years so they're doing everything they can to force you to pay.  Air Crapada has about the worst customer service going so be prepared to have to gate check the bag.  Aeroplan has no sway so pay no attention to what they tell you.  It's all up to the idiot at the gate.  Want to avoid the possibility of any hassle?  Ship your photo gear to destination via FedEx or similar.  Hotels will accept packages for guests due to check in over the next day or so.
Title: Re: Travel to Paris via Air Canada
Post by: lmwacctg on April 09, 2012, 09:53:27 am
Too late for shipping and, anyway, I'm staying in a rented apartment. No way to send stuff there.

We will see at the gate.

Thanks

Don
Title: Re: Travel to Paris via Air Canada
Post by: OliviaK on April 12, 2012, 09:43:49 am
Please tell us if everything was ok or not! I also never had a problem, but maybe it depends on the airline! And sometimes I have the feeling that each time when I fly they get stricter somehow. It's not that easy anymore to bring everything you want. But I guess a tripod should be safe!
Title: Re: Travel to Paris via Air Canada
Post by: lmwacctg on April 13, 2012, 11:39:09 am
Travel went well with Air Canada. The tripod in a case was not questioned. My tripod folds to 21 inches. Of course you can't bring it into any of the main museums or facilities in Paris.

Don