Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: tsinsf on April 04, 2012, 01:46:04 pm

Title: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: tsinsf on April 04, 2012, 01:46:04 pm
I use a 2008 17 inch MacBookPro with a matte screen when I am on the road to review my photos. I'd be interested to know what others experiences with various luminance values have been? I mostly view it indoors under tungsten light. Thanks!!
[COMPLAIN]  [IGNORE U
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: digitaldog on April 04, 2012, 01:51:26 pm
The luminance value that produces a match to a print, otherwise, go lower and get more life out of the display.
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: tsinsf on April 04, 2012, 04:56:42 pm
Could you suggest a starting point?
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: Jeff Magidson on April 04, 2012, 05:10:26 pm
It somewhat depends on the brightness of your working environment. In the subdued lighting of my computer work area, a  luminance value of 70 works for me.
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: dchew on April 08, 2012, 08:43:50 am
Mine is about the same. A brightness setting of 68.5.  It corresponds to a luminance of around a 100-120.

Dave
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: John Caldwell on April 08, 2012, 10:51:24 am
I should know this but don't: How are you all setting and quantifying these display luminance or brightness levels? Is it the display calibration process, or is it separate from that?

Thank you,

John Caldwell
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: digitaldog on April 08, 2012, 01:10:24 pm
Should be part of the calibration process and of course more importantly, the profiling part (the profile has to define the behavior).
Title: Re: Luminance value for 17 inch MacBook Pro
Post by: dchew on April 12, 2012, 06:09:27 pm
John,
The luminance value is from the profiling software.  The associated brightness level is not so direct. Wayne Fox gave me a simple app that tells me the setting.  It goes something like this:
Quote
tell application "System Preferences"
   activate
   set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.displays"
end tell
tell application "System Events" to tell process "System Preferences"
   tell slider 1 of group 2 of tab group 1 of window 1 to set x to value
   display dialog x
end tell

That tells you the brightness level the mbp is set at.  Mine is 0.6875.  That setting corresponds to a luminance value that is my target.  So if I am on a plane and want to change it temporarily (or if I hit the brightness keys accidentally), I can change it back and check that the setting is indeed 0.6875.

Dave