Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Rob C on April 04, 2012, 09:22:23 am

Title: Palm Sunday
Post by: Rob C on April 04, 2012, 09:22:23 am
Beautiful shot.

Rob C
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: Colorado David on April 04, 2012, 12:20:23 pm
I am really drawn in to this photo.  Extraordinary.
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: bobtowery on April 04, 2012, 04:13:57 pm
(Agree, interesting shot).

Michael, I'm interested in your thoughts on the AF with this camera/lens. I now have both. In a static scene with something reasonably contrasty to focus on, the camera does a decent job. But there have been a lot of situations where I think it ought to be able to focus and it doesn't.

I have tried the DMF (direct manual focus) but between the enlargement (I know I can turn this off) and the "focus by wire" I haven't found this useful in a dynamic setting.

Anything you can share about how you have setup the AF and how you use it on the fly would be helpful.

Thanks, Bob.
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: michael on April 04, 2012, 08:02:01 pm
It's not phase detection style DSLR AF speed and accuracy, but it's not bad. I curse it about six times a day (maybe seven), but in the end it's small size and high image quality trumps fault-free AF.

I never use manual focus unless I'm using an MF lens, but I do use focus lock and single center spot all the time.

Michael
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: Morris Taub on April 05, 2012, 05:04:20 am
i really like the reflection/juxtaposition of the palm leaves and the braided hair, really nice small details shot Michael...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/1photo-pages/palm_sunday_procession_3.shtml
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: michael on April 05, 2012, 10:46:04 am
i really like the reflection/juxtaposition of the palm leaves and the braided hair, really nice small details shot Michael...

http://www.luminous-landscape.com/1photo-pages/palm_sunday_procession_3.shtml

That's what drew me to shoot the woman. That juxtaposition caught my eye. I walked in amongst the procession for several minutes to get the right framing.

Michael
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: bobtowery on April 05, 2012, 02:21:48 pm

I never use manual focus unless I'm using an MF lens, but I do use focus lock and single center spot all the time.



Ugh. That's how I'm using it. Was hoping there was a trick I hadn't learned yet. I was hoping this camera would be the one to carry along with the M9 and get the shots it cannot. Not sure that is going to work.
Title: Re: Palm Sunday
Post by: michael on April 05, 2012, 05:15:34 pm
With focus peaking turned on it's great with M lenses, but works much better with Sony lenses and AF.

Michael