Luminous Landscape Forum

Site & Board Matters => About This Site => Topic started by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on April 02, 2012, 01:06:25 pm

Title: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on April 02, 2012, 01:06:25 pm
From time to time we have spam on the forums.
When I see this I usually use the "report" button on these posts for one time and report them as spam.

I just wonder if the moderators really want us to do this, since I don't want them to get spammed with spam reports.

So - Chris and Michael:
Do you want us to report spam, when we see it new or do you check for yourselves?
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: michael on April 02, 2012, 01:31:05 pm
Yes, please do. It helps us notice them. It's then just a couple of key stokes to delete all their postings and ban their IP addresses.

We have lots of behind the scenes tech that screens out 95% of the spammers, but a few a week squeak through.

Michael
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on April 02, 2012, 01:35:05 pm
Great!
Now where's my jabberwock pet?
Lets go hunting!
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 02, 2012, 03:51:35 pm
Good to know. I've been enjoying pressing the "report" button a few times recently.
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Rob C on April 02, 2012, 04:06:33 pm
Good to know. I've been enjoying pressing the "report" button a few times recently.



Are you attempting to create explosions in place of smileys? I didn't realise that was an option!

Rob C
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 02, 2012, 11:31:23 pm
Watch it Rob, or I'll report you to the Principal!
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Rhossydd on April 03, 2012, 04:45:24 am
I too have been regularly reporting the dodgy posts.
What's become rather tedious is the increase in spam to my mail account I use for LuLa (and I don't use it for anything else). Is there any possibility of making registration harder ? to try to avoid letting the spammers in ?
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on April 03, 2012, 04:57:38 am
The programmed intelligence in these bots is becoming better and better.
What I saw a couple of times is, that the bots were posting stuff which were citations or modifications of other posts which really looked human made on the first look.
Checking such a bots posting history revealed there was a mechanism behind - Turing test failed.
Same for registration - bots are getting better and better. If you want a 100% safe registration you'd need a human check - hard to believe this would be possible here without overwhelming the moderators. I think we just have to live with the fact and try out best to get rid of them.
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Rhossydd on April 03, 2012, 05:09:03 am
you'd need a human check - hard to believe this would be possible here without overwhelming the moderators.
I'm sure the modatorial team will be aware of how many applications there are to join and if non-automatic promotion is a practicality. Maybe a two stage application process might help beat the bots ?
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: hjulenissen on April 03, 2012, 05:09:35 am
...If you want a 100% safe registration you'd need a human check - hard to believe this would be possible here without overwhelming the moderators. I think we just have to live with the fact and try out best to get rid of them.
I have also seen these pseudo-inteligent posts that seems like a rehash of previous post. At first, they seem to make sense, but the username together with the number of previous posts is often telling.

Community effort:
Initial registration grants you the rights to only post in a single thread ("newbies corner"). You are required to post a couple of sentences about yourself and one image that you have taken yourself. This image must also contain your lula username in some form. Once other members have confirmed that your post seems legit, there is a dedicated "approve" button that bump your status to regular user.

Pros:
No extra case-to-case work for the admins (but probably some initial setup work).
Quick response time
I doubt that spam bots creators find it worth the effort to circumvent it.

Cons:
I dont know if the current level of spam warrants the extra work...

-h
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: michael on April 03, 2012, 11:06:30 am
The number of spambots and human spammers that actually get though our automated filters is very small; not worth spending any time or money on.

Michael
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Bryan Conner on April 03, 2012, 11:08:21 am
It would be nice if we could all send the spammer spam.  You know...fight fire with fire.
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on April 03, 2012, 11:36:58 am
Actually since I have instituted a host of silly questions of registrants, the incidence of spam is less than 10% of what it was. However I now spend more time helping registrants answer the silly questions - but we are much less bothered by spammers
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: fredjeang on April 03, 2012, 04:22:53 pm
Actually since I have instituted a host of silly questions of registrants, the incidence of spam is less than 10% of what it was. However I now spend more time helping registrants answer the silly questions - but we are much less bothered by spammers
Ahhh...
Now I understand why you hardly post in the motion section. Too busy with the spammers...

Come on Michael ! We need Chris's posts and experience back in the video section.

(while I'm writing this, I'd like to ask: in English is it possible to put the 's even if the last letter is a S ? I can write Michael's posts but is it the same with Chris's posts?)
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: michael on April 03, 2012, 04:27:07 pm
In English, if a word already ends with an "s", to make it plural you put an apostrophe after the "s", so for example, Chris'.

Michael
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: fredjeang on April 03, 2012, 04:37:26 pm
Thanks Michael.

Cheers.
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on April 03, 2012, 04:47:03 pm
In English, if a word already ends with an "s", to make it plural you put an apostrophe after the "s", so for example, Chris'.

Michael

...I think he means 'possessive' not 'plural'   ::)
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Gary Brown on April 03, 2012, 04:48:18 pm
(while I'm writing this, I'd like to ask: in English is it possible to put the 's even if the last letter is a S ? I can write Michael's posts but is it the same with Chris's posts?)

Opinions vary, but the oft-cited Chicago Manual of Style's rule is to add apostrophe-s to singular nouns regardless of whether they end in s — thus, the horse's mouth, a bass's stripes, Chris's posts — and add an apostrophe alone to plural nouns unless it's an irregular plural that doesn't end in “s” — thus puppies' paws, children's literature.

Their rules do include several exceptions, and they end up saying, “Those uncomfortable with the rules, exceptions, and options outlined above may prefer the system, formerly more common, of simply omitting the possessive s on all words ending in s — hence ‘Dylan Thomas' poetry,’ ‘Maria Callas' singing,’ and ‘that business' main concern.’ Though easy to apply, that usage disregards pronunciation and thus seems unnatural to many.”
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: fredjeang on April 03, 2012, 04:51:18 pm
...I think he means 'possessive' not 'plural'   ::)
Can't we be have both? I'm possessive, and plural. ;)
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: fredjeang on April 03, 2012, 04:55:20 pm
Opinions vary, but the oft-cited Chicago Manual of Style's rule is to add apostrophe-s to singular nouns regardless of whether they end in s — thus, the horse's mouth, a bass's stripes, Chris's posts — and add an apostrophe alone to plural nouns unless it's an irregular plural that doesn't end in “s” — thus puppies' paws, children's literature.

Their rules do include several exceptions, and they end up saying, “Those uncomfortable with the rules, exceptions, and options outlined above may prefer the system, formerly more common, of simply omitting the possessive s on all words ending in s — hence ‘Dylan Thomas' poetry,’ ‘Maria Callas' singing,’ and ‘that business' main concern.’ Though easy to apply, that usage disregards pronunciation and thus seems unnatural to many.”

It's getting more complicated than I thought...but I think I got it.

The spammers' posts
Chris's posts
and if I'm uncomfortable with the rules: Chris' posts
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Christopher Sanderson on April 03, 2012, 04:58:36 pm
ahhhh English  ;D

pick your own rules
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on April 03, 2012, 05:08:33 pm
It's getting more complicated than I thought...but I think I got it.

The spammers' posts
Chris's posts
and if I'm uncomfortable with the rules: Chris' posts
You have it!

Of course, if a noun is already plural, it's different: children's toys, for example; and its is possessive without an apostrophe, in contrast to its non-possessive but abbreviated form (it's is short for "it is").

Isn't English fun?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Richowens on April 03, 2012, 05:23:34 pm
Don't worry about it too much Fred. You write quite well and get your point across with an easy to understand style.
For someone whose native tongue is not English, you do better than many native speakers. My hat is off to you.

Rich
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: fredjeang on April 03, 2012, 05:58:37 pm
Thanks Rich.

My posting method is a very empiric 2 steps'. I write directly as I think, mostly because I don't have the time to use dictionary; then I read and see the mistakes my english level allows me to detect and edit to correct...
That's why most of my post are edited.

But Lu-La is fantastic to improve english.

Cheers.
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: aduke on April 03, 2012, 06:09:36 pm
Fred, when my wife writes a note to her German-speaking friend, she writes it in German, then has Google Translate translate it to English, then modifies the German if the translation is not satisfactory.

Alan
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 03, 2012, 07:29:52 pm
...I think he means 'possessive' not 'plural'   ::)
I think the idea of plural Chrises is a great idea. Clone him twice: One of him can deal with the spammers while the other two speed up LuLa video production!   ;)

Eric
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: ndevlin on April 04, 2012, 07:00:13 pm

No!!! Not the Grammarbots!!
Title: Re: Dealing with spam bots on this site
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on April 04, 2012, 11:40:44 pm
No!!! Not the Grammarbots!!
;D