Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Anders Vinberg on April 01, 2012, 06:46:10 pm

Title: Exporting selected pictures to a catalog
Post by: Anders Vinberg on April 01, 2012, 06:46:10 pm
This seems a trivial problem, but I can't figure it out... How do I export selected pictures from several existing catalogs into one catalog? "Export as catalog" works once, but I can't add new pictures to that catalog.

This is partly for management purposes, but specifically because I want to print them together.

(I'm using LR 3.)
Title: Re: Exporting selected pictures to a catalog
Post by: Anders Vinberg on April 01, 2012, 07:01:19 pm
I should have pointed out, I'm asking about catalog export -- I don't want to render the images and reimport.
Title: Re: Exporting selected pictures to a catalog
Post by: michael on April 01, 2012, 07:37:53 pm
It's a two step process. Select the images in each catalog then export them to separate temporary catalogs.

Now, start a new catalog and import the other temporary catalogues into it.

Michael
Title: Re: Exporting selected pictures to a catalog
Post by: Anders Vinberg on April 01, 2012, 08:02:25 pm
Thank you. Obvious in hindsight...
Title: Re: Exporting selected pictures to a catalog
Post by: john beardsworth on April 02, 2012, 02:47:20 am
Anders

Be careful before you fragment your workflow into a number of catalogues. For most purposes Lightroom works best with one catalogue, using metadata to categorise and group pictures. You make work for yourself doing things like trying to export to another catalogue,

John
Title: Re: Exporting selected pictures to a catalog
Post by: Peter S on April 02, 2012, 05:50:40 pm
Isn't it easier to add all the images to a collection and then export the collection as a catalogue?
Right click on the collection to bring up the option "Export this collection as a catalogue".