Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: OLE.M on March 31, 2012, 05:24:22 am

Title: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: OLE.M on March 31, 2012, 05:24:22 am
Hallo.
I plan to buy a Mac 27".
Is the iMac 27" display good enough for serious image editing?
I have a Windows 7 machine with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi (getting a bit old)
What is the best profiler program with Gretagmacbeth iOne display 2 (for Mac and pc)?
I print on Epson Stylus Pro 7800.
Thanks
Title: Re: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: Ellis Vener on April 06, 2012, 12:29:05 pm
Best profiling solution for displays only:i1 Display Pro

The iMac display is decent. Compared to high end NEC and Eizo monitors, well those are better.
Title: Re: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: jjj on April 06, 2012, 09:20:24 pm
The iMacs are more suited to be used to applying makeup that image editing as they are so horribly reflective. Can't bear them myself, same goes for the laptops without 'antiglare' screens [the name says it all really]. The antiglare screens on the larger laptops are however very nice it has to be said, a shame as I'd like a small laptop, but find the mirrored gloss screens to be near unusable in bright conditions.
Though there are some whispers about antiglare screens becoming an option on newer iMacs. Not that Apple rumours can always be relied on. I wouldn't buy an iMac just yet as they are fairly likely to be updated soon.
Here's a guide to buying a mac (http://buyersguide.macrumors.com/#iMac), which can help you make a more informed decision. Even though APple are pretty good at keeping things secretive, they do have product cycles and even they cannot stop all leaks.
Title: Re: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: K.C. on April 06, 2012, 11:20:06 pm
The iMacs are more suited to be used to applying makeup that image editing as they are so horribly reflective.

That's all about the change in June.  :o
Title: Re: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: jjj on April 12, 2012, 08:25:22 pm
That's all about the change in June.  :o
Which I mentioned may be happening.
Title: Re: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: chrismurphy on April 20, 2012, 05:17:08 pm
Gloss screens are problematic for, I'd think, most anyone. Especially a laptop which is often in highly variable ambient conditions.

For serious image editing I'd disqualify the built-in displays, as well as anything above subdued and diffuse ambient lighting. Serious image editing != bright ambient conditions, including nearby (unblocked) windows.
Title: Re: To iMac 27" from pc with a Nec Multisync 2690wuxi
Post by: mcpix on April 20, 2012, 09:04:02 pm
I love my iMacs, but I was also frustrated working around the glare and reflections from ambient lighting. After watching some YouTube videos, I realized the problem wasn't the glossy screen, it's the glass cover that Apple puts over the glossy screen. By simply removing the glass screen, a lot of the glare and reflections were removed. Unfortunately, once you remove the glass screen, your iMac looks like it's part of an iFixit teardown.

So, I hired a local custom fabrication company to design a custom frame that goes around the edge of the screen. It took a couple of tries, but I was really happy with the way it finally turned out. In fact, I got such good feedback from the people I showed it to, that I decided to market them.

I've attached a photo below and here's my website if you're interested:
http://www.macframes.com (http://www.macframes.com)