Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Jeff Magidson on March 29, 2012, 05:11:05 pm
-
Has anyone had experience with Canson Baryta / Ilford GFS roll stock? I have only printed on sheets but was thinking of buying a roll. How bad is the curl? Can it effectively be De-Rolled?
Thanks!
~ Jeff
-
There is pronounced curl. Worse toward end of roll as is to be expected. De-curls fine lays flat afterward w/o much propensity to re-curl. Be aware if you are using stock ICC profile w/ GFS that Ilford has separate profile for rolls (for Epson 4880 at least).
-
I agree with Rand47 regarding curl. It is pronounced and increases towards the end of the roll and also with lower relative humidity. I made a home-made de-curler which does a decent job but still far from perfect.
I have switched to canvas now and try to avoid GFS, not just from a curl perspective but also from the very soft surface which seems to scratch very easily and the blacks are prone to smudging. I don’t know about the profile issue because I make my own profiles on a Z3100.
-
I print extensively on IGFS rolls, and as others have said, the curl is more pronounced towards the end of the roll (I've had rolls that are so curly at the end I can't avoid headstrikes :(). They de-curl just fine though after printing.
Neil
-
I never used the Ilford, but I print a lot on the Canson Baryta and, as I use a Z3200, I mainly print on rolls. And yes, it tends to be quite curled at the end of the roll. I also made a DIY de-curler and it works well if I need the paper (almost) flat quickly. When not in a rush I just leave the print resting with a magazine over it (over a protective sheet of paper or tyvek or mylar) and after a day or two it is flat with no memory at all.
As a side note Cris Crangle, global business manager for the Canson Infinity line, was visiting our studio recently and told me that this paper base was chosen because of its great stiffness, necessary to avoid cracking of its coating with high level of barium sulphite. Unfortunately the pronounced curl is a side effect of all stiff alphacelulose papers.
Best regards.