Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Raymond Bleesz on March 24, 2012, 11:16:53 am

Title: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: Raymond Bleesz on March 24, 2012, 11:16:53 am
I know it's a Ford or Chevy, but I'm curious to know what perhaps the majority of those who might respond to this question use when using a lap MBook Pro, the 13in,, 15in or the 17in---------presently, I'm using an older 15 in MBP along with a none descript monitor, a leave at home/office situation.  I may have to upgrade to a newer unit, hence, the question.  I do not shoot tethered but on occasion & I have not taken my older unit on my travels but have thought about it. With the 13 in, at a lesser price point, I could opt for more add-ons & keep it in a certain budget where as the 15 in unit plus add ons gets pricey. Then the issue of weight, size when & if I travel.

Curious to know how you deal with these issues--Thank you--Raymond
Title: Re: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 24, 2012, 02:04:54 pm
It really is very much a matter of personal preference. However, I'd go for the 15". I've had three, replaced only due to age. I find the 13" uncomfortably small and the 17" seems, frankly, ridiculous.

Get the 15" and plug it in to a larger monitor when you're at home. You can't do really accurate colour work on the inbuilt screen anyway.

Jeremy
Title: Re: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: MrSmith on March 24, 2012, 03:44:43 pm
no problems with a 13in, i prefer it's size for when i need to be mobile but still shoot tethered. i swapped the media drive out for an SSD that's partitioned as scratch and internal back-up. use it with an Eizo/wacom back home for retouching/editing with 16gb ram and internal scratch it's more than capable of working on 2-4gb files in photoshop
Title: Re: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: Ken Bennett on March 24, 2012, 05:04:42 pm
I've had all three, currently using a 17 inch for the card slot, But if I had to buy a new one right now, I'd get a maxed out iMac for processing and a 13 or even an 11 inch Macbook Air for travel. Given how much a maxed out MBP costs vs the iMac, and how much faster the iMac would be with 16GB of ram (for $100 at crucial.com) and the 2TB hard drive, it's worth the small extra cost for me.
Title: Re: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: Chris_Brown on March 24, 2012, 05:53:03 pm
I've used the 17" 'books since they were first available and have no regrets. I chose this size simply because I share the screen with clients & stylists frequently, and the illusion of a larger screen seems to help. The larger size does suck battery power more quickly, though.
Title: Re: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: John.Murray on March 26, 2012, 01:07:46 pm
13" here - really torn between the display resolution and mat screen option of the 15", vs: battery life and portability.  Quite happy with it - it's turned into my "daily driver", always with me.
Title: Re: Mac B. Pro--Size?
Post by: John S C on April 01, 2012, 10:41:13 am
Opted for the 15" as it was a reasonable size for what I wanted. 17" is nice but a bit to big for me.

You can calibrate the screen, but my experience is that it doesn't give a a completely accurate rendition. Compared to the iMac it's a bit warmer than it should be. No problem if you are doing rough edits on it, in the field, but use a decent external screen to produce final ones.

Mines getting on a bit now so looking for a replacement, but waiting for the next generation to apear. Will probably still go for a 15" provided it has the suitable ports, i.e. Ethernet and Firewire