Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Holger Broschek on March 21, 2012, 06:28:06 pm
-
At my last visit to Hoover Dam I shot this picture.
It is pretty awe inspiring what the hand of man can do to change the landscape.
The changes are not necessarily beautiful - still one cannot look away...
Regards,
Holger
www.broschek-photo.com
-
I like how the various mismatched man-made lines convey a sense of the arbitrary chaos that we sometimes (?) impose on nature.
Scott
-
Some photographer 1,000 years from now will make a photograph from that exact spot and display both shots as before/after. By that time those structures will be barely visible, probably just the concrete bases and maybe a ribbon or two of steel and wire. They'll wonder what all those ruins were used for.
-
Hi, Holger. If that shot were in B&W it almost could be a Josef Koudelka.
Here's another in the same vein. I suspect I've posted this before on LuLa, but I'm not sure I ever placed it. It's the way they mine gold nowadays up above Cripple Creek in Colorado. No more boring holes in the ground -- just remove the ground. I've been photographing in this area since the middle sixties, and most of the stuff I used to shoot is gone. Just off to the left of this scene there was a little valley with several deserted farmhouses. That valley's now full of tailings and the houses are buried forever. Just over the hill to the right used to lie the little ghost town of Elkton. I've included the last shot I made there. Elkton's now under at least 500 feet of tailings -- a small mountain. That's progress.
-
I call my own modified landscapes, "cultural landscapes" since thEy've been modified by whatever culture happens to be ther at the time. Keep the wires, the posts and the clutter since they are the artifacts of the time and place.
-
Can't help - but seeing the images here I have to tell this old joke:
Two planets meet in outer space:
Planet A: Dang - you look awfully ill! Whats up with you?
Planet T: I was at the doctor - he said I have homo sapiens.
Planet A: Whew - you're lucky! Its transient ...
:P