Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 19, 2012, 06:18:53 pm

Title: Sun Down
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 19, 2012, 06:18:53 pm
This is an image from last Saturday from a small bay situated only a couple of miles away from me, which has quickly become my favourite spot if it looks like there may be anything like a decent sunset.

Dave.
Title: Re: Sun Down
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 19, 2012, 09:18:16 pm
Dave, I am sure many will like this picture and (hopefully, for you) buy it as a print. I, as usual, have a couple nits to pick ;) Actually, just one: I prefer skies and clouds that are less crunchy, less contrasty, less "aggressive" (most of which is a consequence of too much Clarity slider). In this image, it is especially noticeable in the upper third. Having it so noticeable, also takes the eye out of the picture too soon. Otherwise, a lovely capture.
Title: Re: Sun Down
Post by: wolfnowl on March 20, 2012, 01:55:15 am
Yes... but it looks like a beautiful place to be!!

Mike.
Title: Re: Sun Down
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 20, 2012, 07:51:39 pm
I, as usual, have a couple nits to pick ;) Actually, just one: I prefer skies and clouds that are less crunchy, less contrasty, less "aggressive" (most of which is a consequence of too much Clarity slider). In this image, it is especially noticeable in the upper third. Having it so noticeable, also takes the eye out of the picture too soon. Otherwise, a lovely capture.

Hi Slobodan - my but you are a hard man to please, but your nit pick is duly noted and I will refer back to the RAW file and have another go tomorrow or as soon as I get the chance.

I really do appreciate comments such as these, because I believe that not being too precious about your work and being open to helpful suggestions from fellow photographers, is what it is all about if you want to keep moving forward.

Dave

UPDATE:

Slobodan, here is version 2, which I hope you prefer - I have softened the upper clouds quite a bit to make them much less crunchy and also lifted the highlights to make them look more like the white fluffy clouds they were - which is how they looked to my eye at the time of the shot, but because the shot was taken at a very wide angle (around 16mm), the sky colour seemed to have bled into them. I hope you like this version.  :)

Also I have another image that I am posting here that I made about 5 to 10 minutes before the Sun Down shot and just before the sunset. You can see the same rocks etc, but this one was taken with a different lens at around 24mm. I was stood on some very precarious rocks to take these shots BTW.

Dave
Title: Re: Sun Down
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 21, 2012, 02:39:09 pm
Yes, returning the clouds to their well-deserved "white, fluffy" status works much better :)
Title: Re: Sun Down
Post by: Justan on March 23, 2012, 12:15:39 am
> Also I have another image that I am posting here that I made about 5 to 10 minutes before the Sun Down shot...

That is one of the nicest captures I’ve seen recently.