Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Cameras, Lenses and Shooting gear => Topic started by: billy on March 19, 2012, 03:57:07 pm
-
I use the Zeiss ZE lens on various canon bodies ( 1ds3, 5dmk2, and soon 5dmk3 ) for stills and video and I am really having problems focusing it. As most of you know when using a lens this wide nothing ever really 'snaps' into focus through the viewfinder unless you are close to the subject. I am shooting people, architecture, and landscapes.
stills: I have to use live view to focus it, which is impossible when shooting people ( the way I shoot ). I tried just using the 'focus confirmation ' feature but it did not seem accurate. Any ideas on how to achieve focus while shooting stills in a quicker manner?
video:
I bought it because I thought the barrel rotation would have more room than canon lenses when adjusting focus from say 5 feet to 12 feet, to use with my red rock follow focus, but it does not feel like it has much more room than canon lenses. Am I correct? any tricks I should know? I am a novice with video but am quickly learning.
Any other users info and stories are appreciated here. I might sell it and get a 24mm lens that solves some of these problems so recommendations are welcome.
-
Sounds like a focusing screen (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=canon+focussing+screen&N=0&InitialSearch=yes) problem. There are alternative screens that are designed for manual focusing.
Cheers,
-
I dont have a problem focusing my 21mm.
Dont forget to calibrate the focus confirmation with the micro adjust.