Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: wongsan on March 17, 2012, 02:57:11 am
-
Hi all
I'm having problem with above setup for icc profile printing in LR 4.
My previous setup with Snow Leopard, LR3 and Epson 3885 (same as 3880) was working fine.
Here's the situation:
I bought a new iMac with the latest Mac OS Lion. I installed the Lightroom 4 successfully and I can do the usual Develop/Slideshow stuff.
I installed the Epson 3885 using the drivers downloaded from Epson website. It is showing as version 8.64. The printer is working as I can print from other applications like Safari. The printer is also recognized by LR4 and I can print from LR4.
The problem is that I can't seem to be able to select any Media Type in the Printer Settings dialog. The dropdown list is empty. The ABW option is also greyed out. I'm using Harman by Hahnemuhle Gloss Baryta paper and it's corresponding ICC profile. I could select this profile from the right panel in Print Module under the Color Management box.
I'm hoping that this is just a silly user problem instead of incompatibility issues with the OS, LR4 and Epson 3885.
Any help is much appreciated!
-
Here is a screenshot of the Print Settings dialog with the empty media types:(
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6990025589_3811db4acf.jpg)
-
When i installed the drivers downloaded from Epson Singapore or India, LR4 allows for for selection of media types and more. However, I get "printer not properly installed" error message and I can't print.
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7069/6990092691_127e9a60a1_d.jpg)
This dialog box is quite different from the LR3's version.
-
After installing the driver, go to print and fax preferences. Make sure the 3880 isn't showing as an available printer, if so delete it from the list. Click the + toadd a printer but do not choose the 3880 if it shows up in the popup list. That will install it with the apple driver. Select other printers and there you should see the 3880' and when you select it it should say searching for driver. It should then load the Epson driver and you should the familiar Epson settings back.
-
Thanks Wayne.
I tried as suggested but I encountered error when trying to add the printer.
So far, only epson14359.dmg allows me to print. However, LR4 doesn't allow Media Type selection as per my first post and 2nd post.
-
That screen shot looks like you have the gimp driver loaded and not the epson driver. It should say Print "Settings" not Printer "Features".
-
You shouldn't have to download any drivers.
Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
Delete all 3880 or 3885
Hit the + sign and add the printer > done.
-
You shouldn't have to download any drivers.
Go to System Preferences > Print & Scan
Delete all 3880 or 3885
Hit the + sign and add the printer > done.
No, this is not right. If you do this, you end up with the GP/Apple driver. For Epson large format printers you need to either use the CD or download to get the latest driver. Consumer models are different.
-
Thanks for all the suggestions.
Here's an update:
After countless rebooting, installing, uninstalling, reinstalling and printer on/off, we have made progress. The final installed drivers and common updater that I downloaded from the epson uk site seems to work. The driver version is still 8.64. However, the dmg is not the epson14359.dmg.
The printer is printing from LR4 and other apps. I can select my Media Types now. However, I can't select the Epson Advanced Black and White (ABW). I understand that this is the norm with LR4. Can someone confirm this?
Cheers!
-
You can only select Epson ABW if you have set LR to "printer manages colour".
-
You can only select Epson ABW if you have set LR to "printer manages colour".
That's not correct. I can select Epson ABW and use a print profile. I've used Eric Chan's ABW profile for the 3800 with good results, but I can chose any profile in Lightroom and it's not greyed out.
Running Lion 10.7.3
-
Trust me, it's correct for the OP. If you have the updated driver then OS X enforces the new colour management paradigm. It's discussed extensively on multiple threads on this board.
Windows does the same, except it doesn't prevent you from over riding it. OS X does.
In your case, Alan, if you update the driver then you'll experience the same thing. This is what the OP is experiencing.
-
Ah, that's useful to know. I won't be updating my driver anytime soon then. Thanks for the info.
-
No worries :-)
-
I have the same issue with a 3800 since i upgrade to 10.6 in order to be able to use LightRoom 4, how can i go back to the previous printer driver, i have now 8.64 but even if i reload the common updater v.7.
-
What did you do to get up and running?
If not the dmg that goes along with driver 8.6, then what dmg and where did you find it?
-
I'll be helping a friend later today with this setup, so may I ask wrt AWB mode: If we do print from LR4 "printer manages colors" and use the AWB mode within the Epson driver, is it reasonable to use Eric Chan's profiles in the soft proofing stage, even though that ICC profile is not used in the printing stage? Worded differently, is that Eric's intended use of the profile in the 10.7/updated driver era?
Thank you,
John Caldwell