Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Eurotographer on March 15, 2012, 08:32:01 pm
-
So I hear that Hasselblad is going to be ending relationships with all of their US dealers and only selling direct as well as opening Hasselblad sotres in NYC, LA, and Chicago.
-
it's a boutique brand so i guess it makes sense, i expect to see a few more special editions (sharkskin, gold plated etc) for their core customers ::)
-
So I hear that Hasselblad is going to be ending relationships with all of their US dealers and only selling direct as well as opening Hasselblad sotres in NYC, LA, and Chicago.
This began some time ago. I was competing against Hasselblad directly last year with a client that I had sold a Hasselblad to when I worked for PPR. The resulting sale (IQ180) was won by Capture Integration, and at no point was PPR involved (and frankly, it's debatable whether they deserved to be). Just us against Hasselblad direct.
Steve Hendrix
-
Not sure Hassy has the internal resources to pull it off, their NY guy couldn't sell Ansel Adams a backup camera after all his glass plates broke in a mule accident!
-
it's a boutique brand so i guess it makes sense, i expect to see a few more special editions (sharkskin, gold plated etc) for their core customers ::)
Crazies thing I have seen which confirmed this for me, was at the Hong Kong airport, while waiting for a lay-over to Bali, I was in their electronic shop, which not only had a full range of professional Nikon and Canon gear (as well as Leica M's and other digitals) but had a Hasselblad H4D-60 Ferrari Edition as well as a 503CW with a bunch of lenses....in the Airport....but then again their Piaget boutique also had $200,000 watches in the windows. It's sometimes hard to forget that people actually use these cameras to make a living (Not including myself in that comment)
-
When I was looking at CF-ii 39 MS backs, I started with dealers but didn't get very far. A lot wanted more info, wanted to talk, maybe wanted to sell me something else instead, some never got back with quotes. I called Hasselblad looking at their CTO page, and found out I could buy a new one direct from them. Wow was that easy - everyone e-mailed and returned calls promptly, they got me a great price and I had a very positive experience unlike with the dealers. I dunno - but maybe the dealers bit themselves on this one and cut themselves out by not actually trying to sell the Hasselblad stuff?
-
Nothing new under the sun.
The Pro Centre in Mallow Street, London EC1V was opened many years ago by Hasselblad amid wails of anguish from the normal dealers, who feared being squeezed out.
Well, many were, and not only by H. My own local dealer (central Scotland), who provided me with two new 500 Series bodies, two A12 backs, three lenses, Softars and several other expensive filters and a Polaroid back was eventually given the shove because he couldn'd move enough product to keep H happy. When he told me the news, he told me that he couldn't buy product from H at the prices that London dealers were selling!
Now as I've said before (and which follows remarks made in another thread in reply to Cooter yesterday), you can't run business on the cheapest price system. You also have to be fair and supply your outlets at the same price. Then, it's up to them, the big boys, and their internal advantages of scale to keep retail prices competitive. It ceases to work when differet dealers buy at different prices. That's gang warfare, bully-boy tactics, decreases product visibility and will ultimately fail. If H does become a monopoly selling outlet, then perhaps it will, perversely, create a level playing field: there will be only themselves with whom to fight for profitability against other manfacturers; the little fat off the dealers' backs will have vanished from the banquet table.
Tesco's CEO in the UK has just left his post after they produced lower figures this year, which since they reflect the position before he took over, seems crazy. But there you are: greed is absurd; heads must be seen to fly off necks. The fact that they have grown so gigantic within the UK market and thus leave almost no room for expansion seems to have passed these people by. Growth, growth, growth; the only growth you can depend on is a fucking tumour.
Rob C
-
If this strategy increases the overall sales of Hassleblad product, competitiveness, and brand awareness, then it is a sensible move on their part.
But they also have to ensure that they back it up with after-sales service which is at least as good as the dealers provided.
As much as I know that a Hasselblad system is not the right one for me, I also know that I want a strong successful Hasselblad business to continue, to keep innovation and competition in the MF market.
Ray
-
So I hear that Hasselblad is going to be ending relationships with all of their US dealers and only selling direct as well as opening Hasselblad sotres in NYC, LA, and Chicago.
So I would say you hear incorrectly.
No truth whatsoever.
We have no plans to open any Hasselblad stores in the U.S. This rumor has been circulated in the past, I am sure by someone loyal to a competitors brand. Hasselblad USA does have the webstore that is setup with a cooperative dealer program. The idea is to be sure that photographers in the U.S. have access to Hasselblad products and services regardless of where they are geographically located. With all of our channel programs Hasselblad USA continues to promote and support the dealer channel.
Therefore please can we bring this discussion to a close.
Are you confusing us with Leica who has stores in Tokyo, Japan, Moscow, London... etc etc...
http://leicarumors.com/2012/03/05/the-new-leica-store-in-washington-dc-to-open-this-spring.aspx/
David
-
David,
With all due respect, I don't think you have all the facts here. Get in touch with the big guy in the US, TO, and get your facts straightened out.
-
For me, Hasselblad's USA web store store was a bonus. I live in the Tampa Bay area of Florida and I purchased my first Hasselblad at a local camera store within eight miles quite a few years ago. Now there is only one camera store that is even close to being a professional dealer about 50 miles from my studio and they only stock partial inventory of Canon and Nikon. Where have all the local pro shops gone? They have been shuttered - in part - by the "big box" dealers.
After researching MFDs, I determined I would go with either Hasselblad or Leica. "Local" dealers for those two are over 200 miles away and hands-on trials are limited.
Within three days of calling Jeff Payne at Hasselblad USA an H4D-40 arrived for a four day trial period. After returning the camera, at Hasselblad's expense, I contacted Jeff and received expert advice and made a sizable purchase. Within four days my new equipment arrived.
Hasselblad USA made the trial and purchase very convenient. Although I have always preferred to deal locally, price cutting big box stores have made local camera dealers extinct.
What else is a company such as Hasselblad to do today but go direct?
-
David,
With all due respect, I don't think you have all the facts here. Get in touch with the big guy in the US, TO, and get your facts straightened out.
With all due respect, my information is from management at Hasselblad.
-
David,
Funny, but all the posters here seem to like the idea as they get better service through Hassy direct, if my info is wrong, which I highly doubt considering the source, maybe you should consider it??
-
David,
Funny, but all the posters here seem to like the idea as they get better service through Hassy direct, if my info is wrong, which I highly doubt considering the source, maybe you should consider it??
The Hasselblad webstore is a great resource as proved by Mr Foster earlier.
I don't know what your motivation is, but the "story" is simply not true.
David
-
I guess the Hasselblad employees are told not to let the cat out of the bag too soon as they still need their dealers until the plan has been fully implemented??
-
I guess the Hasselblad employees are told not to let the cat out of the bag too soon as they still need their dealers until the plan has been fully implemented??
Seriously.....
Its now getting a little boring.
-
Seriously back at you,
An acquaintance of mine is a commercial realtor in NYC, he took Tom Olesen to several places to be considered as store fronts for Hasselblad, he also talked about his plans to open up in LA and Chicago.
End of story.
You're starting to sound boring denying this!
-
does that really mean the demise of dealers though? apple have their applestores as well as authorised resellers/repair agents why shouldn't H/blad be any different and have an independent dealer network and official stores?
-
Seriously back at you,
An acquaintance of mine is a commercial realtor in NYC, he took Tom Olesen to several places to be considered as store fronts for Hasselblad, he also talked about his plans to open up in LA and Chicago.
End of story.
You're starting to sound boring denying this!
LOL. That is one of the funniest thing I have heard in a while. So, Hasselblad will give a commercial realtor inside company information before their dealers? Will he/she be invited to a board meeting...
-
eurotographer, is new here..
I think he used to work for Hasselblad or want a job with them, in didnt get it, got kick out or ??, now he is mad...
Maybe he want his face in the flag, after taking the star out...Oh well!
Getting crazy here....
-
no motivation here, just relaying what I heard
-
;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExqP0BHYgTU&feature=youtube_gdata_player
-
The Hasselblad online store is really a great thing. Say you want to buy a cable for your CF back to X-Act2. You go on line and find it in like maybe 3 minutes and if you don't buy it straight away you have at least a picture of it and the part number. Call your dealer and he or she will say, "what?" and get back to you in a few days.
I wish Leaf had a store where I could buy at least the accessories like cables and even graflok back adapters. It's a PIA and a long process to go through the dealers for stuff like that, especially if the dealer has to figure out what it is, order it, then reship it once they get it.
And to be honest a dealer makes almost nothing on the cable - why should they even get in the middle of the small stuff?
-
A on line store for the little stuff would be a nice idea from Phase and they could always give your dealer the commision based on zip code or by your registration. Sometimes I even hate to call just to get a little something I may need like extra batteries or something. Getting the back and lenses is a whole different animal.
-
I would rather purchase direct from the manufacturer like we do with Apple. I am not trying to throw mud at anyone, but I do not like dealing with most sales people. They always seem more interested in making the sale and nothing else. When I have found a good sales person it seems they move on to something else eventually. More power to Hasselblad if that is indeed what their plans are.
-
Eric I can make it even faster, I have a Leaf Graflok adapter for sale.
I also think it would be a good idea for Leaf/Phaseone to have an online store for the small Items. I no longer want to do business from the chain store I purchased my back and the other local store never has leaf items in stock.
I wish Leaf had a store where I could buy at least the accessories like cables and even graflok back adapters. It's a PIA and a long process to go through the dealers for stuff like that, especially if the dealer has to figure out what it is, order it, then reship it once they get it.
-
Seriously back at you,
An acquaintance of mine is a commercial realtor in NYC, he took Tom Olesen to several places to be considered as store fronts for Hasselblad, he also talked about his plans to open up in LA and Chicago.
End of story.
You're starting to sound boring denying this!
Ah now we are getting somewhere.
The search you describe is not for a retail store.
Please don't jump to conclusions, or make assumptions without the full details.
-
Ah now we are getting somewhere.
The search you describe is not for a retail store.
Please don't jump to conclusions, or make assumptions without the full details.
Dave,
Do you know if that Moon landing thing was real?
I heard this rumor that the flag was blowing in the wind and that hasselblad camera was charged on a sound stage at area 51.
Btw: can u get us some free passes to area 51.
I'd love to meet some of those green guys they keep in the fridge.
If u do I'll turn u on to my el lay realtor.
Thanks
BC
-
Eric / Guy ,
Our Digital Transitions Online Store (https://digitaltransitions.com/product/online-store) is online right now(actually 24/7) with a broad selection of Mamiya/Leaf and Phase One related accessories. You can order and pay online and we will ship it right out to you.
If you do not see something online shoot us an email or call and most likely we have it in stock. We are working on getting all of these items up online for people to reference and order.
Lance
-
What a ridiculous thread.
-
With all due respect, my information is from management at Hasselblad.
Is easy for me to see how he jumped conclusion to believe that Hasselblad was opening a store. What I can't understand is how he decided, not only yo publish the theory as a fact, but also move from opening a store to shutting down dealers.
David: Thanks for the clarification
-
Eric / Guy ,
Our Digital Transitions Online Store (https://digitaltransitions.com/product/online-store) is online right now(actually 24/7) with a broad selection of Mamiya/Leaf and Phase One related accessories. You can order and pay online and we will ship it right out to you.
If you do not see something online shoot us an email or call and most likely we have it in stock. We are working on getting all of these items up online for people to reference and order.
Lance
I was waiting for that. Won a bet with myself. ;)
D