Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: michael ellis on March 14, 2012, 06:17:48 pm

Title: Magnolia leaf
Post by: michael ellis on March 14, 2012, 06:17:48 pm
I would like to hear your thoughts on these two. Thanks for taking a look.

Michael
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 14, 2012, 07:24:01 pm
The light is quite nice in both. The first one really sings for me. The leaves in the background give a nice sense of context, The second seems too isolated for my taste.

Eric
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: luxborealis on March 14, 2012, 08:41:15 pm
Gorgeous lighting, texture and contrast on these photos. Reminiscent of Edward Weston.

I agree with Eric about the first photo feeling more "complete" with some context.

Thanks for sharing.

Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 15, 2012, 04:38:56 am
Both are beautifully exposed. The composition of the first is better than that of the second, I think. Is there any detail to be had in the near-semicircle of black under the curve of the leaf in the first?

Jeremy
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: francois on March 15, 2012, 08:58:02 am
I can only agree with previous comments. The first image is beautiful (great texture and lighting and background). The second one is not as appealing, the leave seems to float on a black background…
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: sdwilsonsct on March 15, 2012, 11:31:19 am
I can only agree with previous comments. The first image is beautiful (great texture and lighting and background).
+1.
Scott
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: michael ellis on March 15, 2012, 10:50:15 pm
Hi all and thanks for the comments. I appreciate you taking the time. I have tried several different backgrounds and setups for this leaf and these two are the ones that were most successful for me. Jeremy, there is some detail in the dark area of the leaf, not much though. It shows in a print but just as a slight lightening with a hint of texture. That may have got lost in downsampling.

Michael
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: wolfnowl on March 16, 2012, 03:05:12 am
Yup, Eric nailed it.

Mike.
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: EduPerez on March 16, 2012, 08:08:51 am
Add me to the general consensus: very nice tones on both images, but second one is a bit too isolated for my tastes.
Title: Re: Magnolia leaf
Post by: sailronin on March 17, 2012, 06:55:01 pm
Beautiful light and tones. Agree with the above that #1 is superior due to context with background.
Very well done.