Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: GlennMorimoto on March 10, 2012, 09:42:41 am

Title: Portrait from the archives
Post by: GlennMorimoto on March 10, 2012, 09:42:41 am
Hello everyone!  I was rummaging through some of my old files and I came across this portrait of my neighbor that I like and thought I'd throw this in for review.  I specialize in architectural and environmental executive portraits, but from time to time I try to make time for some personal work, which this portrait is a product of...sorry it's so old and not a landscape.   
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: Etrsi_645 on March 10, 2012, 09:56:58 am
very stately style...
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on March 10, 2012, 01:40:04 pm
He looks very thoughtful. Fine portrait. No apology needed.

Eric
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on March 10, 2012, 01:47:32 pm
Glenn, fantastic capture of resignation on his face (or at least that is how I read it). I also love the tonalities in the photo, so muted and mutually complimentary. Positioning him in the corner works great compositionally (let alone methaphorically) by creating different shades of the same hue and providing a balance between the left wall and his shade on the right one. Great work!
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: RSL on March 10, 2012, 02:56:24 pm
What Slobodan said.
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: John R Smith on March 11, 2012, 03:14:44 pm
Glenn

That is really superb. A great subject, lovely tonality and all the technical guff spot-on.

I hope you printed it, framed it well and gave it to your neighbour . . .

John
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: wolfnowl on March 11, 2012, 03:21:55 pm
What Russ said...  ;D
Title: Re: Portrait from the archives
Post by: GlennMorimoto on March 11, 2012, 10:16:30 pm
Wow, thank you all for the wonderful comments!  Special thanks to Slobodan for the great critique...in full disclosure though, I didn't realize the balance between the subjects shadow balancing the left side wall in shadow until after I shot the image.  And in response to John R. Smith, yes I did print it and yes, the subject received a print.  Thanks again everyone, you guys are such an inspiration to me that I need to get off my lazy butt and get out and shoot more personal work and be more active as a participant on this fantastic forum!