Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: jmlphotography on March 08, 2012, 06:42:14 pm

Title: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: jmlphotography on March 08, 2012, 06:42:14 pm
I've acquired a Hasselbald film camera and would like some recommendations on where on-line to order film, have it developed and scanned. Shouldn't matter, but I'm on the East Coast of the USA (FL).
Title: NorthCoast
Post by: billthecat on March 08, 2012, 09:31:09 pm
I'm using the Ken Rockwell recommended NorthCoast scanning:
http://www.northcoastphoto.com/film_developing_scans.html

They're pretty good but last time I had more dust and scratches than expected.

I just buy film at B&H.

Bill
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: Rob C on March 09, 2012, 05:59:59 am
I've acquired a Hasselbald film camera and would like some recommendations on where on-line to order film, have it developed and scanned. Shouldn't matter, but I'm on the East Coast of the USA (FL).



FWIW, if you've gone to the trouble of buying into 'blad, then if you are gong to be doing any b/w, for heaven's sake have your own processing facility. You can work wonders in a toilet with some lightproofing cloth, some Velcro. You need only process the film, but the control that DIY gives can be very rewarding in terms of both quality and personal satisfaction.

Rob C
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: amsp on March 09, 2012, 06:06:18 am
I've heard good things about http://www.bluemooncamera.com/services.php
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: dizzyg44 on March 09, 2012, 08:49:52 am
for film and supplies, Freestylephoto.biz is awesome!

for B/W, you can easily DIY it without a darkroom simply using a changing bag and processing tank if you don't plan on wet prints.  I do my own sitting in my kitchen watching tv.

For C41 process I send to my local lab Accuphoto as they're the only place here in town that does MF film even though they aren't the greatest.  I've heard nothing but good things for Fstop Photo in Columbia SC who does MF and LF films and wet prints.
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: epines on March 09, 2012, 06:37:21 pm
A&I in Los Angeles does it. The Icon in L.A. might also. As might Samy's Camera.
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: RobertJ on March 09, 2012, 09:28:37 pm
Use Praus in New York.  You can fill out an order form and mail in your film. http://www.4photolab.com/index.html

I also like this place in Colorado: http://www.digi-graphics.com/forms/e6_mail_order/e6_mailform_page.html (you can specify negative or B+W film on the order form).

I buy film only from B&H Photo: http://www.bhphotovideo.com .

I do NOT recommend buying film on eBay, though I have got lucky and bought some non-expired unopened/new film that was cheaper than buying new from the store, so you never know..

For an ultimate drum scan, use west coast imaging: http://www.westcoastimaging.com
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: SecondFocus on March 10, 2012, 12:04:35 am
The Icon in Los Angeles has been my choice for a few years now. Nothing but top quality and service, they work with some of the biggest names in photography around the country. http://www.iconla.com
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: jmlphotography on March 10, 2012, 10:29:01 am
Wow, thanks for all the suggestions.  Regarding DIY, I used to process and print my own B&W but I'm fully digital now.  I suspect this will be just a limited foray back into film.  But I'm excited about it and if it does go beyond occasional use I will definitely get back into doing my own developing.

Any other suggestions are, of course, welcome.

Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: tsjanik on March 13, 2012, 08:52:09 am
AgX is excellent.  A one man (Mike) operation; scans with an X5:
http://www.agximaging.com/

Van Tuil has very inexpensive 120/220 processing and always good in my experience. Not sure about their scanning services.
http://vantuil.com/index.html

Tom
Title: Re: Place to Buy, Develop and Scan Film
Post by: Codger on March 13, 2012, 09:27:08 pm
For a dozen years I've used REED PHOTO IMAGING in Denver, Colorado.  They have served most of the top professionals in the region for decades -- some of their staff have worked there 20+ years! -- and they do consistent, excellent work with MF and LF film processing, scanning and printing.  They have my full endorsement.