Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: marcocarmassi on March 07, 2012, 12:04:05 pm

Title: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: marcocarmassi on March 07, 2012, 12:04:05 pm
Hi guys,
I just uploaded a San Galgano gallery on my website (http://www.marcocarmassi.com/site/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=92). It's my personal view of a special place. In this season, the abbey is quite desert and desolated, emerging from the ground in an eerie atmosphere. The silence and loneliness help to think about your inner self and the old age of the buiding reminds you of the hard life of the monks who inhabitated the abbey. Until some years ago, access to the abbey was free, it was open and without control; now, a small fee is requested and it's a good think to preserve the place. San Galgano will be a stage of the workshops I'll run in spring/summer in Tuscany; you can read more about the abbey and the "sword in the stone" in the hermitage above on my workshop website (http://marcocarmassiworkshops.com).
Thanks in advance for your critiques.

(http://www.marcocarmassi.com/site/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/001_San_Galgano_4f577ba60659d.jpg)

(http://www.marcocarmassi.com/site/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/005_San_Galgano_4f578666026b0.jpg)

(http://www.marcocarmassi.com/site/components/com_virtuemart/shop_image/product/008_San_Galgano_4f5789290b0e5.jpg)
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: RSL on March 07, 2012, 07:28:11 pm
Beautiful stuff, Marco. Looks as if #1 could stand a little pull in the shadows, though.
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: marcocarmassi on March 08, 2012, 04:50:26 am
Thanks Russ, after a second thought your remark makes sense to me. I'll follow your advice.
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: francois on March 08, 2012, 04:53:09 am
Fantastic images. The place seems magical… I'm split between #2 and #3!
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: popnfresh on March 08, 2012, 03:29:18 pm
The second one is quite nice. But I'm not crazy about the lighting in the other two.
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: wolfnowl on March 10, 2012, 02:19:54 am
Rather partial to the second one myself.

Mike.
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on March 10, 2012, 03:44:19 am
The second is my kind of shot.

Jeremy
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on March 11, 2012, 08:10:35 pm
I think #2 is definitely the best from the set, it has a nice rhythmical flow to it.

Dave
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: marcocarmassi on March 13, 2012, 10:02:16 am
@francois @popnfresh @wolfnowl @kikashi @Dave: thanks everybody.

About the #2 (apparently the more appreciated), when I entered in that square space called "Sala Capitolare" and I saw its awesome vaulted ceiling, those shadows and the perfect lighting immediately reminded me of a Piranesi etching and my brain switched to b/w and I couldn't think anymore of other way to represent it.
Title: Re: San Galgano Abbey
Post by: popnfresh on March 13, 2012, 03:52:12 pm
About the #2 (apparently the more appreciated), when I entered in that square space called "Sala Capitolare" and I saw its awesome vaulted ceiling, those shadows and the perfect lighting immediately reminded me of a Piranesi etching and my brain switched to b/w and I couldn't think anymore of other way to represent it.
I think it works very well in B&W. But then I'm biased towards B&W anyway.  ;)