Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Mr_Bunburry on March 06, 2012, 10:34:53 pm

Title: HP Z3200 and Epson Signature Worthy Papers
Post by: Mr_Bunburry on March 06, 2012, 10:34:53 pm
I've been hearing a lot about the new Epson Hot and Cold Press papers, all from Epson printers, and am curious if any HP Z3200/3100 owners have tried it?  Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Title: Re: HP Z3200 and Epson Signature Worthy Papers
Post by: Ernst Dinkla on March 07, 2012, 03:27:19 am
Sure,

There are signature worthy and signature unworthy papers in the Epson Signature Worthy catalog.  Like there are in other paper catalogues with less fancy names. Like there are in Epson's other catalogues. To find the ones worthy I check independent tests like www.Aardenburg-Imaging.com and read users comments in forums like this one. The EEF or what is called Epson Traditional Photo in Europe should be avoided.

The Hot and Cold Press are quite new in that catalogue and had a positive response by users. The Hot Press has been tested at Aardenburg up to 90 Megalux Hours and the Natural version shows a somewhat lower performance on the paper white shift compared to Hahnemühle Photorag over the same period. Surpringly though the Hot Press Bright White with more OBAs does it better than the Natural version and better than HM Photorag Bright White, about equal to normal HM Photorag. That said the shift of HM Photorag Bright White continued after 90 Megalux Hours so that may happen to the Hot Press too. The Cold Press is not tested but the basics of both Hot and Cold Press will be the same, at least the Natural. Bright Whites differ more on some aspects, texture is more patterned and the OBA content is higher in the Cold Press. The four are not tested with Vivera pigment inks so that combination remains a guess.

met vriendelijke groeten, Ernst
Shareware too:
330+ paper white spectral plots:
http://www.pigment-print.com/spectralplots/spectrumviz_1.htm
Title: Re: HP Z3200 and Epson Signature Worthy Papers
Post by: jmlamont on March 16, 2012, 12:40:41 pm
I am wanting to print with an HP 44" printer on Epson Hot Press Bright. I wondered whether you have tried this or any similar combination since the previous e-mails? I am concerned about immediate appearance as well as longevity. Would of course profile the paper, but have printed the files on an Epson 7900 and am hoping we can get the results to be as good with the larger HP. Is this a deluded hope?
Title: Re: HP Z3200 and Epson Signature Worthy Papers
Post by: Mr_Bunburry on March 19, 2012, 11:41:32 pm
Thank you Ernst I will lok into it.

No I have not yet printed with the hot or cold press papers but am still considering it.  I am curious as to how the Vivera inks will turn out as well.