Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: evgeny on March 04, 2012, 11:26:46 am

Title: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: evgeny on March 04, 2012, 11:26:46 am
Hi,

I use XRite Color Passport to generate Profiles specific for light (studio, daylight, etc) and sensor in my camera.
I apply the Profile to an image in Adobe Camera RAW. This greatly improves colors.

However I can't apply XRite Sensor Profile to images in Phocus.

As of today, I have either option to:
- export Hasselblad RAW files to TIFF without Profile to finish editing in Photoshop (CS5), or
- export to DNG to add the profile in Adobe Camera RAW, and then continue to work in Photoshop as usual.

However it's much effective to early apply XRite Sensor Profile to Hasselblad RAW files to see proper colors in Phocus.

Will Phocus ever support XRite profiles?

Thanks
Evgeny

Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: BrendanStewart on March 04, 2012, 11:54:50 am
I'd also love this feature...
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: deejjjaaaa on March 04, 2012, 12:04:26 pm
Will Phocus ever support XRite profiles?

you can build icc/icm profiles using xrite passport target and 3rd party software like free argyll for example
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: jonathan.lipkin on March 04, 2012, 02:02:24 pm
I was told by people at Xrite that the passport was not designed with medium format cameras in mind. I had been using it with DNGs that I rendered out of Phocus, but was told that these are not true raw files, only in fact processed files that are 'wrapped' in the DNG format.
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: evgeny on March 04, 2012, 03:08:58 pm
I compared images without and with Passport (Leaf and H4D-40). In my opinion colors look closer to real with Passport. So, I believe the Passport does the job with MFDB.
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: jonathan.lipkin on March 04, 2012, 10:17:55 pm
Evgeny -

What is your workflow with the passport? I tried as follows:
1. Shoot PP
2. Import into Phocus as .fff file
3. Export to DNG
4. Open DNG in Color Checker utility and generate profile

Then what? I'd like to use Phocus to process my raw files to take advantage of the lens corrections. Do you process to DNG and then open in ACR, or open directly in ACR? If you open direclty in ACR, are the corrections that you apply from Phocus readable, sort of like a DNG from a 35mm?

I'd like to incorporate the PP into my workflow, but haven't been able to figure out how. If I can, I'd be very happy.

Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 05, 2012, 01:41:57 am
Evenly and all,

Support is there.

Change the Hasselblad RGB profile in the reproduction tool to your custom profile.
 
David.
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: evgeny on March 05, 2012, 01:45:27 am
I select XRite generated profile in Profile menu in Camera Calibration tab in Camera RAW. (restart Photoshop, if it was open at the time you generated profile)

I can open either Hasselblad RAW or image exported as DNG in Camera RAW to apply the profile.
Camera RAW cant see changes made in Phocus.
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: evgeny on March 05, 2012, 01:51:13 am
Change the Hasselblad RGB profile in the reproduction tool to your custom profile.
 
David.


David, what is "reproduction tool"?

Thanks
Evgeny
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 05, 2012, 12:49:11 pm

David, what is "reproduction tool"?

Thanks
Evgeny

Choose the reproduction tool if it is not showing in the tool area. Change the profile Hsselnlad RGB to your custom profile.

Checking the reproduction mode box runs the colour processing in a different way - particularly suited to art reproduction.

See the video here..

http://htv.hasselblad.com/video/reproduction-tool?current-channel=english/1&page=2

David
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: deejjjaaaa on March 05, 2012, 01:49:09 pm
Choose the reproduction tool if it is not showing in the tool area. Change the profile Hsselnlad RGB to your custom profile.

Checking the reproduction mode box runs the colour processing in a different way - particularly suited to art reproduction.

See the video here..

http://htv.hasselblad.com/video/reproduction-tool?current-channel=english/1&page=2

David


David, they were talking about Adobe's DCP profiles above... Phocus can't use 'em, right ?  they need to make ICC/ICM profile.
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: David Grover / Capture One on March 05, 2012, 05:14:57 pm
David, they were talking about Adobe's DCP profiles above... Phocus can't use 'em, right ?  they need to make ICC/ICM profile.

Not from what I understand from the OP?
Title: Re: Phocus and XRite profile
Post by: deejjjaaaa on March 05, 2012, 05:36:16 pm
Not from what I understand from the OP?

well, OP clearly writes

"I use XRite Color Passport to generate Profiles specific for light (studio, daylight, etc) and sensor in my camera.
I apply the Profile to an image in Adobe Camera RAW."

as Adobe does not use ICC/ICM profiles it is certain that OP is talking about DCP profiles and XRite software (in its production form) does not generate any ICC/ICM profiles (it did in beta version, then XRite removed that functionality, because you need to take into account specifics of various converters to generate good ICC/ICM profiles - too much hassle for a free software from a commercial company I think).