Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: petermarrek on March 02, 2012, 06:34:51 pm
-
Recently aquired an H3d with 4 lenses, made a home for it in a Lightware case, great protection but akward to carry it around. What do you guys use to carry these cameras and a few accessories( batteries, filters, etc) Peter
-
I use an F-Stop Tilopa to carry around my RZ67/Aptus 22 kit with 5-6 lenses. Really nice backpack with lots of customizable space.
-
Recently aquired an H3d with 4 lenses, made a home for it in a Lightware case, great protection but akward to carry it around. What do you guys use to carry these cameras and a few accessories( batteries, filters, etc) Peter
Dear Peter,
Congratulation :)
I use every day peli cases.
Some airlines allow it as carry-on luggage
http://www.peli.com/en/cases/1560loc-laptop-overnight-case
My best case,
http://www.peli.com/en/peli-maletas-estancas-al-agua-1510.html
If you like backpacks:
http://www.kata-bags.com/
http://www.tenba.com/
http://www.lowepro.com/pro-showcase
Have a nice shooting :)
-
While used for 35mm, lighting and video gear (and hopefully soon MFDB), other than a Gura Gear backpack for very occasional use, I've very happily migrated across the board to Porta Brace cases.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/browse/Porta-Brace/ci/8909/N/4232859079
Mostly a combo of their DCO-2's and PKB-275's (which are designed, if desired, to act as internal case to their 2750 hardcase - or the HPRC (cases OEM) 2750 (great hardcases).
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/739900-REG/Porta_Brace_PKB_275DSLR_PKB_275DSLR_Packer_D_SLR_Case.html
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/670647-REG/Porta_Brace_DCO_2R_DCO_2R_Digital_Camera_Organizer.html
The included lens & general gear pouches are excellent and unlike with dividers (which can also be used and some included) have velcro to attach them to case interior's velcro-friendly lining so don't shift around. If interested, you can hit PB's home page or Youtube for demos of how system works.
-
Depends on what specific lenses you have. When I had my H3Dii-39ms I had the 80mm, 300mm f/4.5, 100mm f/2.2, 35mm f/3.5, 120mm f/4 Macro, and 35-90mm f/4-5.6 which fit in my Billingham 555 bag. I also managed to fit them into a Pelican 1510 case with dividers, which worked for carryon for the lenses, and then a smaller bag for the camera itself. The 1510 is great because its a roller, and now I have the foam dividers for my PhaseOne/Mamiya lenses including 300mm f/4.5, 35mm 3.5, 55mm f/2.8, 210mm f/4 ULD, 150mm f/3.5, 120mm f/4 MF D, and 105-210m f/4.5 ULD. Then I have the 1526 combo case, which I keep the camera, and possibly 1 or two lenses in. I find this case excellent for travel, because it has the classic pelican outer case, and then a fitted soft camera bag within it which can be used without the case. This is great for travel because it combines camera bag and a hard case for my MFDB, and if the hard case doesn't fit somewhere, then I can check the hard part, but can still carry my most valuable piece. Also the 1510 works great for me, because there is a additional piece for the top you can get which will hold some accessories, but more importantly has a sleeve for a 17inch laptop. Thats the stuff I use most of the time.
I've also looked at the F-stop bags, and discussed with them whether my equipment would fit in one of the backpacks. And it certainly sounds like they would fit in the largest pac they offer, not sure which model it is exactly right now.
-
Here's what the F-Stop Tilopa looks like with my RZ kit. This is with the "Large ICU" unit. There's still plenty of extra room in the top and external back pockets. This is also carry on sized, at least for travel within the US.
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/sheldonnalos/_MG_7680.jpg)
(http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v483/sheldonnalos/_MG_7684-Edit.jpg)
-
Thank you all for your answers, the lightware case is working fine right now and I do have a Vertex 200 if I want to lug it around. Right now I'm in Mexico in a motorhome so nothing is available to me but I will be crossing into Arizona in a month. I'll see how it goes there( if I can park close to interesting spots) ie. grand canyon, monument valley etc. Peter