Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: Steve Weldon on March 02, 2012, 01:24:11 pm

Title: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 02, 2012, 01:24:11 pm
I know very little about Mac's and I'm building a CMS site for a client who has only Mac's.. and we need to source a blog editor.  With Windows I like Windows Live Writer because it reads the theme from the website and gives you a WYSWYG workspace after picking up the sites skin/fonts/font color/font style/etc.. and it's great for pulling old blog posts off the site, editing them, and reuploading.   WLW rocks..

Is there anything like this for a Mac?  Oh, and easy to use.  This guy buys Mac's for the normal reason..
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: deejjjaaaa on March 02, 2012, 02:40:52 pm
I know very little about Mac's and I'm building a CMS site for a client who has only Mac's.. and we need to source a blog editor.  With Windows I like Windows Live Writer because it reads the theme from the website and gives you a WYSWYG workspace after picking up the sites skin/fonts/font color/font style/etc.. and it's great for pulling old blog posts off the site, editing them, and reuploading.   WLW rocks..

Is there anything like this for a Mac?  Oh, and easy to use.  This guy buys Mac's for the normal reason..

you can run Windows virtualized on Mac and stay w/ your favorite editor... simple
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 02, 2012, 03:15:49 pm
you can run Windows virtualized on Mac and stay w/ your favorite editor... simple
Thanks for the response.  From what I can tell there are several problems with this.

1.  My client is a Mac neophyte.  He won't want to do anything extra.

2.  When running the editor he'll also need to have imaging and other programs open and will be dragging and dropping between.. and from what I've read Windows virtualization has issues when seriously tasked.

3.  WLW is my favorite program.. not his.  His learning curve will start with whatever I install for him.  Certainly someone makes a Mac blog editor comparable to WLW?
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 03, 2012, 01:13:33 am
Bump -

I'm meeting with my client in the morning.  A few blog editor titles would be nice to have.

Thanks for your help.
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: John.Murray on March 03, 2012, 01:19:11 am
Steve: You might check out blogo

http://mashable.com/2008/12/27/blogo/

I've personally never used it (komodo is my weapon of choice)
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Farmer on March 03, 2012, 05:31:29 am
Adobe Contribute?  Not free, but perhaps an option if the client already has some version of CS Suite?
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 03, 2012, 11:27:14 am
Thanks John.   Looks good!

I'm afraid whatever he starts to use, he'll use forever.  You can tell some people are that way..   this supports multiple accounts which we need so that's good.. I'll give it a try.

Thanks!
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 03, 2012, 11:28:10 am
Contribute might be an option.  Usually Adobe aps are great, but with a steep learning curve.  I'll look it over before we meet.  Thanks!
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Craig Lamson on March 03, 2012, 12:56:11 pm
Contribute might be an option.  Usually Adobe aps are great, but with a steep learning curve.  I'll look it over before we meet.  Thanks!

Did you check out the app store?
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: BJL on March 06, 2012, 04:57:22 pm
How sophisticated are this person's needs? For many of us, WordPress software gets the job done, and it is cross-platform, being browser based. See http://wordpress.org (This blogging software is not tied to using the hosting site http://wordpress.com and in fact supports features and plugins not usable in blogs hosted there.)

But for more sophisticated usage, and native software rather than a browser interface, another possibility to look into is MarsEdit: http://www.red-sweater.com/marsedit/ (warning; it costs $40). In fact, for advice on blogging from a Mac, one place to look might be famous Mac-oriented blogger, software author and opinionated commenter on software John Gruber, who uses MarsEdit. His collection of recommended blogging-related Mac software is at http://daringfireball.net/colophon/
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 06, 2012, 05:41:02 pm
It's because this isn't a sophisticated user(s) that we need certain features such as the ability to sense the theme so you get a WYSWIG editing experience that picks up the sites CSS.. and it needs to do multiple accounts.  Other than those two features we only need the standard editing tools, ability to hyperlink, add music, videos, images..

Mars2edit didn't work for them and either did Wordpress.  Finally the main client went and purchased a Zen notebook and is very pleased using WLW.  We still have a few blog users on Mac's who don't want to drop $1000 on a notebook just for blogging, so if anyone knows a blog editor that picks up themes and supports multiple accounts please share.
Title: Re: Best Blog Editor for Mac?
Post by: mediumcool on March 07, 2012, 12:26:37 am
Did you check out the app store?

Probably quite difficult without a Mac!