Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Kevin Gallagher on March 01, 2012, 09:29:00 pm

Title: For All You Vintage Audio Lovers
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on March 01, 2012, 09:29:00 pm
 Treated myself to these for my birthday. The TEAC appears to have been virtually unused, the Sansui has a couple of nicks on it but @165 x2 it really rocks the house!!

(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/141833421.jpg)


(http://www.pbase.com/keving/image/141801128.jpg)

Title: Re: For All You Vintage Audio Lovers
Post by: BernardLanguillier on March 02, 2012, 05:09:18 am
Very nice, I hear that the sound quality output by these Teac through XLR is pretty amazing.

A bit bulkier than my Mac mini streaming wirelessly but arguably much more cool looking!

Cheers,
Bernard
Title: Re: For All You Vintage Audio Lovers
Post by: Justan on March 02, 2012, 10:28:29 am
Very nice!

I have an older (roughly 30 years) Akai R2R deck that gets used from time to time. I have some tapes that I made long ago from first spin (or nearly so) LPs which sound amazing on the Maggies!

Title: Re: For All You Vintage Audio Lovers
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on March 02, 2012, 03:56:16 pm
Thanks guys!! There's always been a certain fascination for me in watching the reels as they play, kinda like watching fish in an aquarium I guess  ;D



Title: Re: For All You Vintage Audio Lovers
Post by: Steve Weldon on March 02, 2012, 04:23:15 pm
Is that a Sansui Quadraphonic?  Going back several decades here.. :)

As the proud ex-owner of a Teac X-1000R 10" reel to reel I totally understand.  Even back when I bought the thing, the only place I could find actual 10" reels of high quality tape was a recording studio in Los Angeles.

I haven't managed to hang on to it through many moves overseas and back, but I consider it a point of pride that I've held onto my Klipschorns..
Title: Re: For All You Vintage Audio Lovers
Post by: Kevin Gallagher on March 02, 2012, 04:44:40 pm
Hi Steve, I don't think so, not natively anyway, there's a provision for a 4 channel adapter that is controlled by a from panel switch but I'm thinking it must've required an auxilliary amp or some such.

 From what I can see there is still .25 RtR tape being made.

  Klipschorns... now there's a house shaker for you!!


 Kevin in CT