Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: Photopro888 on March 01, 2012, 02:31:28 pm

Title: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: Photopro888 on March 01, 2012, 02:31:28 pm
Was about to buy a Canon iPF8300 then read on the forums (from only one person I believe) that the canon ink has an issue on canvas and paper when rolling on coating. Some of the ink comes off onto the roller.  Can anyone confirm this? I’m using “clearstar satin type C” for my coating now, with Epson ink.

I know that spraying would solve the issue but would rather sick with rolling for now.

Thanks,

Darren
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: KenBabcock on March 01, 2012, 03:22:54 pm
I've never used Clearstar.  I use Eco Print Shield - same thing really.

Unless you are using canvas that is not WR there is no issue.  You might run into problems with non WR canvas.

Paper should not be coated with Clearstar.
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: tim wolcott on March 01, 2012, 08:39:29 pm
Best results are to spray the Canon prints.  I did some of the early testing on both papers and canvas.  Spray is always more uniform and yes the ink can smear when rolled.  T

But then again I sprayed the Epson prints also. 
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: KenBabcock on March 01, 2012, 09:00:15 pm
The ink won't smear when rolled on a WR canvas.  I do it all the time.  If the canvas is not WR (like Fredrix 901) then problems with ink lifting will occur when rolling whether you are using Canon or Epson inks.
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: Randy Carone on March 02, 2012, 09:09:35 am
Ken,

Paper can be coated with Clearstar ClearJet A-2000 original formula available in 12 oz. spray cans. The ClearJet Fine Art spray cans are engineered for canvas. Clearstar ClearShield is a water based coating that is available in quarts and gallons, which can also be used on paper. The Clearstar ClearShield Type C and ClearJet Fine Art (canvas versions) are available in quarts and gallons (brush & roll and ready-to-spray versions).
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: KenBabcock on March 02, 2012, 09:36:17 am
I should have been a little clearer.  Type C is for canvas.  Paper should not have to be coated with anything.  I don't see a need for it.  Archival inks on paper behind glass - just a waste of money in my opinion.
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: Darrel on March 02, 2012, 12:11:06 pm

The canon inks will smear on WR canvas do to the high density ink loads.  You can make a custom media profile to cut down the ink laid down, but I suspect the roller will still pick up a bit.  It is easy and cheap to spray with a wagner.
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: Mike Sellers on March 02, 2012, 01:31:06 pm
Fredrix 901 is WR-I just got a roll of it.
Mike
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: KenBabcock on March 02, 2012, 01:47:36 pm
Oops, I omitted the word "satin" from the Fredrix 901WR.

You won't even need to coat it to find the ink lifting.  Rubbing it with your finger alone will rub the ink right off - the satin 901WR that is.
Title: Re: Canon ink and roll on coating
Post by: tim wolcott on March 03, 2012, 12:28:15 am
Sorry to clarify.  Gloss canvas will absolutely runs when rolled.  I should have said that earlier.  I forget others are using a matt or satin canvas which has less to no running.  T