Luminous Landscape Forum
Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Cineski on February 28, 2012, 02:33:41 pm
-
I'm wondering if the GB-74 lens shade fits the 645 140mm f/2.8 lens without causing vignetting? The catalyst for this is I have a 45mm and 55mm Contax 645 lenses. They both are supposed to use the GB-71 lens shade. I only had one so I ended up using an extra GB-72 laying around to see if it would work on the 55mm lens and it actually ends up working better because you get better flare protection because it's longer but it doesn't get in the way of the view at all or cause vignetting. So, if any of you have a 140mm lens and GB-74 shade from the 210mm, would you mind trying it out for me and stopping all the way down to see the shade gets in the shot? I can't tell, but it looks like the GB-74 is also quite a bit wider than the GB-73 so despite being longer I'm theorizing this should work. I only have a rubber lens shade on now but would really like a metal one.
-
No answer from me but i also wonder about that, why isnt each shade perfectly fit to each lens?
If the shade for the 55 also fits the 80, why didnt they make the one for the 80 more narrow for even better protection?
Cost saving? >:(
-
I'd guess cost savings. It's not that the GB-71 does a bad job on the 55mm, it's just that the GB-72 does a better job ;-). It's also like the GB-101 can be used on the 35mm and the 45-90. It probably won't do that good a job on the 45-90 but to keep costs down they just used one shade on two lenses. I have a Contax bellows lens hood (which I love) but won't use it for weddings because it'll probably get destroyed. But when I do use it, I can always extend the bellows past the mark on the rail for each focal length setting. Anyway, how about someone sell me their unused GB-74 so I can test it myself? ;D
-
Why not just get a screw in lens shade for the filter ring?
-
That's what I have now and I don't like it. It's too flexible and I like shades to attach to the lens and not the filter ring.
-
Schneiders B+W makes a whole lot of metal screw in lens shades, http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=metal+screw+in+lens+shade&N=0&InitialSearch=yes