Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: petermarrek on February 26, 2012, 10:26:58 am

Title: ASA rating of CFV-39
Post by: petermarrek on February 26, 2012, 10:26:58 am
As a relatively new owner of an H3d-39 I am a little confused,according to the specs, the back has an ASA raing of 50-400, on mine it goes to 800. Will opening the files in Phocus before LR3 reduce the noise from the 800 setting? Peter (just the facts, please, no opinions.
Title: Re: ASA rating of CFV-39
Post by: Chris Livsey on February 26, 2012, 01:11:11 pm
Was this not increased in a firmware update?
http://www.hasselblad.fr/media/2512292/read-me%20r267.pdf
Title: Re: ASA rating of CFV-39
Post by: John R Smith on February 26, 2012, 01:11:58 pm
Peter

I don't use Phocus, just LR3 so don't know whether a TIFF from Phocus would look better than a 3FR processed in LR3. But the noise reduction in LR3 is really very good indeed, and generally speaking files pushed to 400 ISO look pretty good. However, 800 is really rather marginal, and I would avoid using it if possible.

John
Title: Re: ASA rating of CFV-39
Post by: petermarrek on February 27, 2012, 12:50:00 pm
I am not unhappy with the noise that I'm getting but as I'm traveling in Mexico and taking lots of photos for future printing just want to do the best I can. Thanks for the reply, Peter
Title: Re: ASA rating of CFV-39
Post by: Eurotographer on March 15, 2012, 09:24:49 pm
Without a doubt the files, especially high ASA, will look better processed through Phocus vs LR. 
Title: Re: ASA rating of CFV-39
Post by: Brian Hirschfeld on March 18, 2012, 10:15:23 pm
Personally when I had my H3Dii-39ms I never used any files that I took at 800, because to me, they were simply unusable. Phocus will "process" them better since its better tuned for the programing of the back and how it translates the noise originally. However I personally like ACR and used luminance adjustments and then additional third party plug-ins to play with the noise if there was a file I liked.

For me even 400 was pushing it. higher ISO noise was one of the reasons that I switched to Phase because I found their ISO performance was better to me, the Hasselblads, like all DB's do exceptionally well at their lower ISO's however I found the Hasselblad's to be particularly under-whelming in high ISO performance.