Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 26, 2012, 10:09:38 am

Title: The Misty Isle
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 26, 2012, 10:09:38 am
The name of the shot and subject says it all I think.

CC's as always.

Dave
Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: sdwilsonsct on February 26, 2012, 10:25:24 am
Very nice, Dave. I like the echoed shapes and blues all the way into the distance, the boat and house that give scale, and the warm/cool colour contrast.
Scott
Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 26, 2012, 12:37:49 pm
I feel a bit guilty about what I want to suggest, but this is a great image which I believe has a slight problem.
I'd suggest to crop away a part of image, be it from the bottom, the top or both.
My impression is, that the very dynamic format takes something away from the otherwise very beautiful image.
So I want to suggest - not to make is square, but maybe a little more "squarish".
I am not sure if this would work if it was printed big though.

Cheers
~Chris

Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 26, 2012, 02:15:49 pm
I feel a bit guilty about what I want to suggest, but this is a great image which I believe has a slight problem.
I'd suggest to crop away a part of image, be it from the bottom, the top or both.
My impression is, that the very dynamic format takes something away from the otherwise very beautiful image.
So I want to suggest - not to make is square, but maybe a little more "squarish".
I am not sure if this would work if it was printed big though.

Cheers
~Chris

Thanks for the suggestion and I had sort of tried squaring it off as you suggest, but I found if I take about a 1/4 to a 1/3 off the top, that yes it definitely works, or if I take about a 1/4 to a 1/3 off the bottom it still works, but as I really like the dynamic nature of the clouds and the blue breaking through on the top, and also the bottom detail of the seaweed and sand, I couldn't make my up my mind which was or wasn't better, so I left it exactly as I framed it.

I am doing these images for the main Isle of Skye gallery, as they have asked me to provide them with some 'Iconic' views of Skye - this was taken yesterday afternoon on the Sleat peninsula, Isle of Skye.

Dave
Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: Roberto Frieri on February 26, 2012, 03:06:12 pm
Wow.
Perfect light & deep of field (f/32 ?).
Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: francois on February 27, 2012, 04:49:06 am
I like it as it is but Christoph's suggestion is worth trying.
Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: jalcocer on February 27, 2012, 08:30:45 am
Solitude on the ground (shed/house), solitude on the water (boat), very nice composition and great tones.
Title: Re: The Misty Isle
Post by: Dave (Isle of Skye) on February 28, 2012, 09:00:37 am
Wow.
Perfect light & deep of field (f/32 ?).


Hi Roberto,

No it was actually F5.6 but taken from a distance, hence the good DoF even at that wide setting. I used a 70/200L IS lens with a 1.4 MkII extender zoomed in fully to 280mm, a 2 stop Soft ND Grad with centred weighted metering minus a 1/4 of a stop.

Dave