Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: PhotoEcosse on February 26, 2012, 07:29:54 am

Title: Preston Mill, East Lothian, Scotland
Post by: PhotoEcosse on February 26, 2012, 07:29:54 am
Comments welcome, especially concerning the use of HDR.

Base image: 1/400 at f/9  ISO 200  Aperture Priority  17-55mm lens at 17mm

(http://www.premier-pages.co.uk/prestonmill22.jpg)

.
HDR was used, with exposures at -2, 0 and +2 EV because a single "correctly exposed" image had small areas of burned out highlights and, more importantly. no detail in the fairly expansive shadow areas on the left-facing walls.

.
Title: Re: Preston Mill, East Lothian, Scotland
Post by: wolfnowl on February 26, 2012, 09:53:25 am
There's some banding in the sky (likely a .jpg artifact) and personally I'd tone back the saturation in the oranges a bit, but it definitely hasn't been tonemapped to death, for which I applaud you!  ;D

Mike.
Title: Re: Preston Mill, East Lothian, Scotland
Post by: John R Smith on February 26, 2012, 01:06:16 pm
Well, it's a lovely subject with a lot of potential. But you could have done with a much more interesting sky, and light which was not so harsh and unforgiving. Like the old saying goes, if I wanted to get to there (a great picture), I wouldn't start from here.

If you live reasonably close to Preston Mill, I would haunt the place. Keep going back, at different times of day, different seasons, different weather. Get a feel for when something magic is going to happen, and then be there for it.

John