Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Printing: Printers, Papers and Inks => Topic started by: randal21 on February 25, 2012, 12:50:20 am
-
Hopefully, I am in the right arena (and if not please direct me to the right thread.). A photographer friend has put together a finished piece I have thought of for years and it's a "secret" he won't share. It is a print that is on top of an old piece of barnwood and the print looks ingrained as a part of the wood. It is almost like it is on the thinnest paper media and decoupaged in. Can you picture what I am describing? It has a nice old time, organic kinda effect and I'd love to do it to a few of my images. Anyone have any idea how to accomplish this? thanks.
-
Hahnemuhle's Rice Paper is thin enough that it will work as you describe. With clear resin over it, it turns nearly invisible.
-
If your printer has a feed that goes straight through and the wood is thin enough you can print directly onto it if the surface is prepared. (such as using http://www.inkaid1.com/ or similar)
-
Try doing a web search for Bonny Lhotka. She's got books, youtube videos, etc on printing to different substrate/media like wood, metal, fabric, etc... I used their DASS transfer film and secret sauce to do prints onto wood last year -- basically printing on a roll of clear, specially treated transfer film and then prepping the wood surface with some sauce, and finally applying the printed film for a few minutes and then peeling back fo rthe final result. There are other products and processes out there to accomplish similar results. Good luck
-
I think Hahnemuhle Rice Paper may be the right media. I am having a hard time finding it in sheets and the rolls are pretty expensive. Any help? Thanks so much.
-
It seems, according to the Hahnemuehle web site (see:http://www.hahnemuehle.com/prod/en/212/859/rice-paper-100-gsm.html (http://www.hahnemuehle.com/prod/en/212/859/rice-paper-100-gsm.html), that this paper is only available in rolls.
If the folks at Hahnemuehle are listening... you can have my "vote" for making this interesting paper available in sheets.
The roll is just "too much" (both paper and money) for an amateur... I could not use a rolls worth of a specialty paper like this in any reasonable time even if I was willing to cut sheets for feeding my 3880.
If it were available in sheets, I would certainly try it out and probably use it occasionally over the long term. I bet there are many others who might feel similarly.
--- Frank (http://www.gorga.org/blog) (http://www.gorga.org/blog))