Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => The Coffee Corner => Topic started by: Fips on February 23, 2012, 10:12:33 am
-
Unfortunately my last attempt in this forum to get some advice failed, so I thought I'd give it another try.
I'll be on a business trip in Boston but luckily have some free time to spare. So can anyone recommend some places worth seeing besides the usual attractions like freedom trail and science museum? What's worth seeing from a photographers point of view? Would really appreciate some advice.
-
You can take a sailboat tour, for a view of the harbor from the sea.
(http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3455/3372931137_10994f4911.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/3372931137/)
Boston Harbor (http://www.flickr.com/photos/slobodan_blagojevic/3372931137/) by Slobodan Blagojevic (http://www.flickr.com/people/slobodan_blagojevic/), on Flickr
-
Unfortunately my last attempt in this forum to get some advice failed, so I thought I'd give it another try.
I'll be on a business trip in Boston but luckily have some free time to spare. So can anyone recommend some places worth seeing besides the usual attractions like freedom trail and science museum? What's worth seeing from a photographers point of view? Would really appreciate some advice.
What are you interested in? How much time/willingness/ability to travel do you have?
-
Thanks for the answers so far. In about 18 hours I'll be in Boston until next sunday. A harbour trip with a sailing boat sounds great as I'm an avid (racing) sailor.
One idea was to rent a car next weekend and head for Cape Cod. It's more than 10 year ago since I've been there the last time. But I still have some good memories... mainly about seefood :D
-
The Cape should be very photogenic this time of the year, without the summer crowds. The National Seashore has many very scenic beaches. Many of the summer eateries will not be open, but there should still be good ones open. Just ask the locals.
In Boston itself I find it fascinating to wander along the waterfront, especially the parts bordering the North End.
But if you want snowy winter scenes, you'll have to head way north. We don't have any snow to speak of in Massachusetts this winter.
-
I've always been more partial to the North Shore. Anything from Marblehead to Gloucester is going to be scenic. I lived up there for a few years before parking myself in Cambridge. In fact, the house I used to live in on Marblehead Neck is now a B&B. It's been a long time, but I sailed into Gloucester a number of times on my three-day sailing excursions. It was (still is?) a classic New England working fishing harbour with all the requisite charm, grunge and barnacles you'd expect.
Way too much is likely to have changed for me to give specific advice in the city itself, but getting yourself around the Emerald Necklace (http://www.emeraldnecklace.org/), especially some of the lesser known gardens would be a good challenge and introduce you to parts of the city that can be overlooked.