Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: asoulym on February 21, 2012, 04:02:09 am

Title: Shadows displaying "mesh" in .crw file.
Post by: asoulym on February 21, 2012, 04:02:09 am
Hi, was editing a Canon G12 raw file today in ACR, sent it to CS5 as a smart object and it turns up with what looks like over-lapping mesh, horizontal and verticle lines of varying thickness, and dark grey in color, in the shadows. Never seen it before, but it disappeared when I flattened the file. If I overly darken it to the point of complete black, the lines become very regular, thin ones inside a pattern of thicker ones covering the whole file.

  Any ideas what it is or what caused it
Title: Re: Shadows displaying "mesh" in .crw file.
Post by: NikoJorj on February 21, 2012, 05:00:57 am
Banding, aka pattern noise?
A common problem with canon sensors I'm afraid...
Title: Re: Shadows displaying "mesh" in .crw file.
Post by: asoulym on February 21, 2012, 04:19:27 pm
Thanks NikoJorj

Why would it show in this particular file, having done nothing out of the ordinary to it, processing wise.
Title: Re: Shadows displaying "mesh" in .crw file.
Post by: NikoJorj on February 22, 2012, 02:52:05 am
Higher ISO, under-exposure leading to the same effect (particularly if you use AutoTone), higher temperature maybe... hard to tell without knowing more.
Title: Re: Shadows displaying "mesh" in .crw file.
Post by: Keith Reeder on February 25, 2012, 02:14:26 pm
Banding, aka pattern noise?
A common problem with canon sensors I'm afraid...

Just for the sake of balance, I've only ever had banding from Nikon bodies...