Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: ivan muller on February 20, 2012, 06:59:08 am
-
Image of Yeye, a pro footballer, one of the images from a advertising shoot that I jazzed up n bit for myself...of course for other, more run of the mill documentary style images, go to my blog at...http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/2012/01/philippolis-portraits.html
(http://i39.tinypic.com/fcjsp2.jpg)
-
The looks is a popular and appealing one these days. I like it.
There is only one problem I have with it, and it kind of ruins the effect for me. Some of his braids (particularly on the left side of the image) have an effect that appears almost solarized and unnatural (yes, I said unnatural in the context of this image). I don't like the look. His hair is black ( I assume) and yet those places look like they are much lighter and seem to have lost detail. I would restore those braids to a more traditional appearance and then call the image very cool.
-
it's a really nice shot Ivan, but I feel the same about the braids!
-
Me too.
On the right-side braids, the small light areas look like highlights, but light areas on the left braids are too big to look like highlights. I think selectively darkening them would make a substantial improvement.
Otherwise, I think it's a fine portrait in a style especially appropriate for a pro footballer.
Eric
-
I often take a different view so don't put too much weight on this: I looked at it a few hours ago, thought about it, looked again, and am now commenting. But to me it's, as you say, over the top. Any type of bump in effects should normally be done in moderation and not abundance. In this case you did it so much you made the image quality unacceptable. I personally would never intentionally sell or display a print with the image quality issues most evident in the braids, but exhibited throughout. Sometimes I miss stuff, I'll concentrate so much on what I like that I'll miss the obvious.
In addition, I don't think you needed to make an obviously strong, angular, and detailed subject even more so. The image would have stood on it's own by itself, and stood much taller. More, the tight crop is too tight. I'd imagine this mans shoulders are wide and strong and would have complimented the strong face. I'm also not seeing enough detail in the eyes, the pupil and iris run together like it was too soft and you knew this, and then pumped up the detail to compensate but it didn't take to the eyes. The eyes are always first, a portrait radiates outwards from the eyes. In this case radiate inwards. Not good.
If in fact the eyes were too soft and you added effects to compensate, don't do that. Shoot it again. This is a great subject and I feel this image lets him down.
-
Sorry Ivan- it doesn't work for me.
-
This is an incredible portrait but personally I would like to see less over the top...and more traditional black and white rendering with smoother tonalities . Eleanor
-
It's a striking photograph, but it doesn't work for me either. The braids on his right side look solarized, which seems odd. His right jawline is outlined in black, but nothing else is. Also, his pose looks like he's punching himself in the chin.
-
Thanks all for looking and for your comments...!
Here is the normal version.
(http://i39.tinypic.com/2ahfc6g.jpg)
-
Much more pleasing to my tastes..
-
+1 on the normal version
-
How about something in between.
-
Perfect ! Really like the normal version....well done. Eleanor
-
I'm with Fike on this. I'd like to see something between the first and the second versions.
Eric
-
Thanks all for the helpful hints and suggestions...Here is another version...I think the subject needs a stronger rendition rather than a softer one...it could probably do with a teeny bit more contrast.....
(http://i44.tinypic.com/sw91z9.jpg)
-
BTW here is the guy I used to test my lighting set up etc, Alfred my gardener..the most photographed member of our extended family..... :)
(http://i42.tinypic.com/34pjho8.jpg)
-
Ivan, I like the first version you posted, sans the "solarized" hair. The second version does not have the punch needed.
The third version I like the best overall but would still like the skin tones rendered to be more like the first.
-
Ivan, I like the first version you posted, sans the "solarized" hair. The second version does not have the punch needed.
The third version I like the best overall but would still like the skin tones rendered to be more like the first.
+1. Same here, I think the first image it's much stronger and it's let down only by some minor technicalities (which can be taken care of).
-
It is a good portrait and the style suits the image.
I would restore those braids to a more traditional appearance and then call the image very cool.
These where my first thoughts too. Rest is perfect.
I think its not the question if its over the top or not. You could give it even more contrast and it would be perfectly valid too.
-
..actually I quite like what youve done to it with the massive increase in contrast......judging by what everyone has said...actually anything goes and somewhere someone will like it...! :)