Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Digital Image Processing => Topic started by: CynthiaM on February 19, 2012, 12:01:03 pm

Title: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: CynthiaM on February 19, 2012, 12:01:03 pm
I recently sat in on a computer lab offered by Nik software during which the representative mentioned that sharpening in camera raw should be turned off before sending an image into Photoshop to apply Nik Color Efex filters, claiming that the CR sharpening created artifacting.  This didn't make any sense as I always understood the sharpening in CR or LR to be capture sharpening and that the effects in Color Efex, particularly those that effect contrast, were similar to creative sharpening.  Your thoughts and comments on this would appreciated.
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: Schewe on February 19, 2012, 02:10:01 pm
Your thoughts and comments on this would appreciated.

Nik is wrong...
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: Martin Ranger on February 19, 2012, 02:20:04 pm
I recently sat in on a computer lab offered by Nik software during which the representative mentioned that sharpening in camera raw should be turned off before sending an image into Photoshop to apply Nik Color Efex filters, claiming that the CR sharpening created artifacting.

That's funny. The Nik Sharpener video on their own website states you can use whatever capture sharpening you might want to use. In fact, the impression I got from that video was that you really shouldn't use their "Capture Sharpening" if you shoot raw.
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: digitaldog on February 19, 2012, 03:40:39 pm
This didn't make any sense as I always understood the sharpening in CR or LR to be capture sharpening and that the effects in Color Efex, particularly those that effect contrast, were similar to creative sharpening. 

You intuition is correct, what they told you doesn’t make sense!
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: Chris_Brown on February 19, 2012, 05:52:17 pm
I don't think it's wise to go for any kind of final sharpening in any raw processor, but my images benefit from some small amount of sharpening in ACR before they get to a final stage. That said, I tried Nik's Sharpener pro but prefer the level of layer blending control offered by PK Sharpener (http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener2/index.html) for final sharpening. Add to that the fact this I've used it for years and am comfortable and efficient with it, and it'd take a great product for me to change.
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: nemophoto on February 20, 2012, 02:08:39 pm
I've used Nik Sharpener since the very first version almost 15-years ago! The latest version, 3.0, is NOT one of my favorites, though it does a pretty good job IF you know what you're doing. There are a few bugs in it's automated settings, so you have to make sure to set the proper size of the image manually, or you get incorrect settings! All that said, I do still use it a fair amount. I also use Topaz Detail from Topaz Labs and have used Jeff Schewe's sharpener actions in the past. I've always used LR's capture sharpening (default or more) and never experienced later artifact pronlems with Nik, unless I used too much capture sharpening to begin with.
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: CynthiaM on February 21, 2012, 10:05:58 am
Nik is wrong...
Thanks, Jeff.  I knew I could count on you to tell it like it is.  And I got a nice giggle out of your response.  I'm not so sure if it is Nik per se, or the individual who conducted the lab who was most likely speaking outside of his/her area of expertise.

That's funny. The Nik Sharpener video on their own website states you can use whatever capture sharpening you might want to use. In fact, the impression I got from that video was that you really shouldn't use their "Capture Sharpening" if you shoot raw.
The remark was made with regard to Color Efex, not Nik Sharpener.

You intuition is correct, what they told you doesn’t make sense!
It's always good to know that I am on the right track!

I don't think it's wise to go for any kind of final sharpening in any raw processor, but my images benefit from some small amount of sharpening in ACR before they get to a final stage. That said, I tried Nik's Sharpener pro but prefer the level of layer blending control offered by PK Sharpener (http://www.pixelgenius.com/sharpener2/index.html) for final sharpening. Add to that the fact this I've used it for years and am comfortable and efficient with it, and it'd take a great product for me to change.
Moi aussi, as the French would say which means, me too.  I am also a devotee to the creative sharpening in Photokit Sharpener.
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: Martin Ranger on February 21, 2012, 01:18:37 pm
The remark was made with regard to Color Efex, not Nik Sharpener.

I know. What I tried to convey was the idea that this is not the "official Nik" view. That their recommended workflow does include capture sharpening, and that, moreover, even their official Nik Sharpener video basically tells you to use whatever capture sharpening mechanism you want to use. I guess I should have been clearer :)
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: CynthiaM on February 21, 2012, 04:21:20 pm
I know. What I tried to convey was the idea that this is not the "official Nik" view. That their recommended workflow does include capture sharpening, and that, moreover, even their official Nik Sharpener video basically tells you to use whatever capture sharpening mechanism you want to use. I guess I should have been clearer :)
Appreciate the clarification.  I just meant to point out that the individual was only speaking to color Efex because that's what was being taught.  Interesting that their sharpening tutorial tells you to use ay capture sharpener that you want.  Does make you wonder if this is the "official" Nik recommendation with regard to all of their plug-ins.
Title: Re: Capture Sharpening and Nik Color Efex
Post by: digitaldog on February 21, 2012, 06:11:20 pm
Interesting that their sharpening tutorial tells you to use ay capture sharpener that you want. 

The concept of using capture sharpening along with other compounded sharpening (a sharpening workflow) wasn’t their idea so I guess it is to be somewhat expected.