Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Computers & Peripherals => Topic started by: shaun on February 18, 2012, 05:35:35 am

Title: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: shaun on February 18, 2012, 05:35:35 am
Hi

I have an A4 wacom tablet that I purchased in 1999, (Mac with serial connector). Just wondering if this is for the bin? Was working ok etc. at the time but never did check out if serial to usb connectors exist or work after I upgraded.

Regards
Shaun
Title: Re: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: Rhossydd on February 18, 2012, 06:43:03 am
serial to usb connectors exist or work after I upgraded.
You can get the hardware certainly.
The difficulty might be drivers for the tablet.
Title: Re: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: francois on February 18, 2012, 09:51:07 am
Well, serial to USB do exist but I doubt that you'll find a driver for current Macs.

Wacom lists drivers/tablets here (http://www.wacom.eu/index2.asp?pid=29&spid=0&lang=en)

You might find third party drivers but I'm not aware of any that could do the trick. You could try to ask about Wacom to USB Overdrive's author on the contact web page (http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Contacts.html).
Title: Re: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: shaun on February 18, 2012, 10:25:49 am
Ok Thanks for the feedback shall look into it. Thought my children could use it.

Regards
Shaun
Title: Re: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: mediumcool on February 19, 2012, 07:08:27 pm
Ok Thanks for the feedback shall look into it. Thought my children could use it.

Regards
Shaun


If it’s an ADB (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apple_Desktop_Bus) connector, you’re hosed. Some Wacom PC serial tablets can be used with OSX in conjunction with Tablet Magic (http://www.thinkyhead.com/tabletmagic).
Title: Re: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: shaun on February 20, 2012, 02:01:57 am
It's all coming back now. Looks like i'm "hosed".

Thanks again
Shaun
Title: Re: Old wacom will it work?
Post by: mediumcool on February 20, 2012, 02:05:54 am
… never did check out if serial to usb connectors exist or work after I upgraded.

BTW, USB is a serial bus. The acronym tells you that much.