Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: churly on February 16, 2012, 10:24:00 am

Title: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: churly on February 16, 2012, 10:24:00 am
For a bit of a change - A couple of shots that lean toward the abstract.

(http://churly.zenfolio.com/img/s3/v39/p148435911-5.jpg)




(http://churly.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v36/p746638002-4.jpg)
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: MikeWhitten on February 16, 2012, 10:40:57 am
My gut reaction to the first: "That's beautiful!"

Curiosity: What is it?
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: Michael H. Cothran on February 16, 2012, 03:06:52 pm
Abstracts are always difficult to judge or critique. Moreso than straight-forward images. One can only go on gut instincts as to how you react upon seeing them.
I find the first image to be very energetic, and the second to be quite peaceful, yet eery.
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: jalcocer on February 16, 2012, 04:28:30 pm
love #2, great shot
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: luxborealis on February 16, 2012, 10:43:13 pm
Love them both for entirely different reasons. Wonderful movement in photograph 1 - my eye continually moves through the photograph - I could look at it all day.
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 16, 2012, 11:56:47 pm
Love them both for entirely different reasons. Wonderful movement in photograph 1 - my eye continually moves through the photograph - I could look at it all day.
Me too. These are definitely my cup of tea.
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: sdwilsonsct on February 17, 2012, 10:48:45 am
1: engaging. Just enough structure to suggest its origins and lots of motion to keep the viewer looking. Nice.
2: I like the use of real variation in background darkness to convey depth.
Scott
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: eleanorbrown on February 17, 2012, 11:00:58 am
I love photographic abstracts and always look for images like these myself to shoot. Nicely done! Eleanor
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: sailronin on February 17, 2012, 11:39:36 am
I really like the second one, very well seen.
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: churly on February 18, 2012, 01:30:54 am
Thanks everyone for the comments.  It is hard to evaluate abstracts - it seems you either like them or you don't and it is often difficult to know why.  I tend to like abstraction because it opens up possibilities.

Mike - the first one is just a patch of long grass hanging over a short run of white water and a bit of circular camera motion - a bit of fun.

Cheers, Chuck
Title: Re: Abstract smallscapes
Post by: ivan muller on February 20, 2012, 05:04:33 am
I like both and can only echo what everyone else has said...bravo...!