Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: larkvi on February 15, 2012, 03:24:56 am

Title: Simien Sunset
Post by: larkvi on February 15, 2012, 03:24:56 am
Another one for feedback:
(http://farm8.staticflickr.com/7185/6876835897_d7031e5868_z.jpg) (http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkvi/6876835897/)
Sunset from Sankaber Camp, Simien Mountains, Ethiopia, 2007 (http://www.flickr.com/photos/larkvi/6876835897/) by larkvi (http://www.flickr.com/people/larkvi/), on Flickr

Note that I do think it looks dramatically better large on black (http://bighugelabs.com/onblack.php?id=6876835897&size=large&posted=1). Go ahead and look at it for a few seconds before proceeding.

. . .

I have a very specific concern about this image, and that is that the orange in the cloud is visually heavy enough that it distracts from the eye wandering the valleys below. I would be interested in people's thoughts looking at it normally, and then with their thumb over the cloud.
Title: Re: Simien Sunset
Post by: jalcocer on February 15, 2012, 08:35:16 am
great job, love the sky and the deepness!
Title: Re: Simien Sunset
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 15, 2012, 09:38:47 am
I would be tempted to increase local contrast just a tiny bit in the misty valleys, but definitely not enough to lose the good misty feeling.

Perhaps desturating the cloud a bit might help, too.

Either of these suggestions could easily go overboard, and you may well come back to the original as the best version. I do enjoy exploring those valleys with my eyes. Well worth working on some more, IMHO.

Eric
Title: Re: Simien Sunset
Post by: Heinz on February 15, 2012, 10:08:26 am
Hi, My personal take on this image that I like it. However , I do not feel that the orange cloud detracts, in fact it almost makes the pic, I would crop a little off the bottom because i get the feeling that it is a little bottom heavy. Regards Heinz
Title: Re: Simien Sunset
Post by: wolfnowl on February 16, 2012, 02:05:30 am
Well, since everyone gets an opinion... I wouldn't worry about the colour in the sky; it's a nice accent.  Personally I'm not a fan of 'almost' silhouettes, and the trees framing the bottom fit that category for me.  If you can salvage any detail from the trees, I'd bring up the shadows a bit to add some detail to what's already there.

Mike.
Title: Re: Simien Sunset
Post by: Riaan van Wyk on February 16, 2012, 08:37:04 am
Well, since everyone gets an opinion... I wouldn't worry about the colour in the sky; it's a nice accent.  Personally I'm not a fan of 'almost' silhouettes, and the trees framing the bottom fit that category for me.  If you can salvage any detail from the trees, I'd bring up the shadows a bit to add some detail to what's already there.
Mike.

I agree with Mike here, the trees distract my eye more than the orange in the clouds.
Title: Re: Simien Sunset
Post by: larkvi on February 16, 2012, 10:32:38 am
There wasdetail in the trees which I eliminated. WHen I get back after the weekend, I will experiment with an alternate versiont hat restores some of it, to see what it looks like.