Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: ivan muller on February 14, 2012, 03:31:38 am

Title: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: ivan muller on February 14, 2012, 03:31:38 am



Going back to my 4x5 film days....

(http://i40.tinypic.com/2z4fmzq.jpg)
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: John R Smith on February 14, 2012, 04:29:55 am
Ivan

I really like this. It is just classic "straight" photography, with no gimmicks or posturing and satisfies the eye through strong composition and subtle tone-mapping. It feels very 'English' to me, but I may be wrong.

I would hang this on my wall.

John
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: ivan muller on February 14, 2012, 05:30:54 am
Thanks John! The photograph was made in Dullstroom, South Africa. The altitude there is quite high and therefore quite cold and could be reminiscent of the English countryside with constant rain and mist, very unlike the rest of the country...
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: Paulo Bizarro on February 14, 2012, 05:51:14 am
I really like it as well. To my eyes, it seems as some of the trees are arranged in pairs, almost like dancing. Well, it is Valentine day...
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 14, 2012, 05:57:03 am
Film rocks !
I'm looking forward to get a view camera one day ....
For now the Mamiya 7 ii is my friend.

Very nice image. I can second what John said: I'd hang that on my wall as a large print.
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 14, 2012, 10:02:02 am
Add my applause, too. The gentle curves of the trees really make the image sing.

Eric
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: shaunw on February 14, 2012, 04:41:29 pm
Like it...i just wonder if those little bits of background are causing distraction?... works for me.
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: eleanorbrown on February 17, 2012, 11:13:19 am
Stunning image!! The soft light grasses makes the image for me! And yes I would also hang this on my wall! Eleanor
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: jalcocer on February 17, 2012, 12:00:29 pm
I love it, it's a great shot, really something I'd hang on my wall
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: ivan muller on February 18, 2012, 11:58:01 am
Thanks all for the favorable comments...the thing I really miss with 4x5 film photography is that on a good outing I exposed about 10 dark slides, which usually meant about 10 exposures as I took an extra one just for insurance, so everything was more measured and an image didn't just happen....can you image doing that today with digital...!
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: John R Smith on February 18, 2012, 02:36:29 pm
. . . . so everything was more measured and an image didn't just happen....can you image doing that today with digital...!

Why not, Ivan?

I go out for the afternoon (with digital) and rarely come back with more than six to ten frames. There are very few really good pictures out there, so why take more?

John
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: stpf8 on February 18, 2012, 03:39:08 pm
It's a beautiful photograph, with the wonderful simplicity emphasized with B&W and completely filling the frame.  Re: the last response, I also use medium format digital, and I keep the capture rate down partly due to file size and partly due to the fact that's just the way that I grew up with photography.  However, I do try more compositions than I did with 4x5, and I consider that to be a big benefit of digital.
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: Enda Cavanagh on February 18, 2012, 05:05:02 pm
I agree John. I use a digital back on a view camera most of the time and I have never been so thoughtful of the how I photograph a scene. A couple of weeks ago I went off for a 2 day shoot. I shot about 18 different images (with different exposures) over the 2 days. I used to use a Mamiya for years before that but working with the view camera is a wonderful way to inuitivily photograph a scene, especially because many of my images are panoramics.

Why not, Ivan?

I go out for the afternoon (with digital) and rarely come back with more than six to ten frames. There are very few really good pictures out there, so why take more?

John
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: petermfiore on February 18, 2012, 05:15:25 pm
Ivan,

Love this image, the type of subject I look for in my painting.


www.peterfiore.com/wps
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: PeterAit on February 18, 2012, 08:29:40 pm
Ivan

I really like this. It is just classic "straight" photography, with no gimmicks or posturing and satisfies the eye through strong composition and subtle tone-mapping. It feels very 'English' to me, but I may be wrong.

I would hang this on my wall.

John

I agree. This is a wonderful example of a good photographer taking an ordinary subject and making a lovely photo.
Title: Re: B&W Landscape with trees
Post by: ivan muller on February 20, 2012, 05:00:46 am
Why not, Ivan?

I go out for the afternoon (with digital) and rarely come back with more than six to ten frames. There are very few really good pictures out there, so why take more?

John

You are right John, I was thinking more of 35mm digital but I do find that with my med format and shift lens I take only a few images...but I do bracket a lot more than I did with film for the simple reason its so easy and leaves room for some fancy techniques if you want...I am not a big fan of HDR but I do the bracket exposures anyway, just in case I want to use it one day. Med format has such a wide dynamic range that there's not much one can't extract from a single images