Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 09, 2012, 04:02:35 pm

Title: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 09, 2012, 04:02:35 pm
Some shots from Sans Souci in Potsdam near Berlin, the summer residence of Frederick the Great.
I'm currently working on the series.
The park administration unfortunately requires permits/payment for professional photogs, but I'm a happy amateur - so here is a selection:
#1: Sans Souci, morning light
#2: Orangerie, Sanc Souci Park, evening light
#3: Marble palais in Potsdam, diffuse light
#4: Another little building in Sans Souci Park - forgot the name, morning light





Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: jalcocer on February 09, 2012, 04:05:06 pm
#2 and #3 are my favorites, very nice shots, #3 although seems a bit angled to the right, but maybe that's what you are going for. Good job on those pictures.
Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 09, 2012, 04:43:04 pm
I corrected #3's rotation a bit, it still is not 100 % - but I'll leave it for now.

Some more - since I'm in a good mood:

#5: A beauty in Sans Souci park
#6: Orangerie, another take
#7: A tree from the park at the marble palais
#8: Sans Souci detail

Cheers
~Chris

Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: shutterpup on February 09, 2012, 05:06:26 pm
All the ones in color look oversharpened to me. I'm sure it's just me  ??? ???
Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: jalcocer on February 09, 2012, 05:15:27 pm
The one of the path with trees leading to endless arches is great!! I really like it!
Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: RSL on February 09, 2012, 05:49:21 pm
I do too, but with the blue color cast gone.
Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: ivan muller on February 10, 2012, 06:01:35 am
Thanks for showing! There is a wonderful book I saw on the Potsdam architecture and it looks like a beautiful place to photograph....please show us the photographs as you go along....
Title: Re: Sans Souci, Potsdam
Post by: Christoph C. Feldhaim on February 10, 2012, 08:42:49 am
Thanks for the nice words and the time you took to look.

Shutterpup: I used Lightrooms output sharpening for screen with "standard" strength. Actually on some images the clarity has been put DOWN by me and been selectively restored on some objects of interest, but overall there shouldn't be much additional clarity applied, if at all. But: Some of the lenses I used have great sharpness, even if its old glass (Mamiya Press camera with according Sekors at 50 and 75 mm and the great 100 mm f2.8 lens - the kit I just gave up for a Mamiya 7 II kit). The scanning was done with a Nikon Coolscan LS 9000 at 4000 DPI WET MOUNTED, which preserves a lot of local contrast and totally removes Newton rings, not to say that film flatness is perfect then.

jalcocer: The image with the arches is one of my favorites as well. When I saw the light and the scene I was a little mesmerized - had a magic feeling,  sortof.

Russ: I am sorry - but your color shift destroyed the image for me - good to see people have different eyes and taste.  ;)

Ivan: When I arrived at Sans Souci in the morning I met the Photographer who is doing all the official images for the Sans Souci administration, and most likely the images in the book you saw are from him. A very nice chap and we had a pleasant talk about photography and stuff when we were waiting for the light. He used a 4x5 inch tech camera and sheet film. And: Yes ! potsdam is an awesome place to take images. I hope to get there more often - I have family there.

Cheers
~Chris