Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Medium Format / Film / Digital Backs – and Large Sensor Photography => Topic started by: Juanito on January 31, 2012, 11:44:01 pm

Title: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: Juanito on January 31, 2012, 11:44:01 pm
I just picked up a new (to me) Leaf back which uses Firewire 800 for tethering. In shopping for a 4 meter 800 to 400 cable, I'm seeing cables ranging from Phase One for $125 to some rather skinny cables for $20. Is there any difference between the speed or reliability of these cables? Are there power issues I need to be concerned with? Also, what's the longest cable I should consider without worrying about losing power?

Thanks, John
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: Kagetsu on February 01, 2012, 01:09:03 am
They can be pretty fragile from what I've heard (I don't shoot tethered myself)... A friend goes through a few, and isn't helped when people step on the cables.
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: asf on February 01, 2012, 07:01:42 am
I'm sure it depends on what back you are using but the only fw cord I've never had a problem with (establishing and maintaining connection) is Sinar - very expensive but worth it.
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: ced on February 01, 2012, 09:45:48 am
Use what is recommended by the manufacturer as they have already done the research.
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: yaya on February 01, 2012, 04:14:57 pm
John I know it is a bit more expensive but the 400-800 that we provide (part number 216-00181) works well and fits securely into the back's FW800 port. You can order it from any Mamiya Leaf dealer

Yair
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: shaun on February 02, 2012, 03:53:26 am
I'm on hasselblad and have tried granite digital which was expensive and heavy duty but it only lasted 1 month. I now use a cheap calumet one hooked onto a lindy firewire repeater without a problem. This gives me extra length and so less tension which probably helps.

Shaun
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: LenR on February 02, 2012, 08:13:45 am
Here u go.

http://www.granitedigital.com/firewire1394bdiagnosticcables.aspx
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: shaun on February 03, 2012, 05:29:01 am
Granite digital price is much cheaper than I sourced in uk for 32'. Ouch!!

Shaun
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: DeeJay on February 03, 2012, 06:30:34 am
Don't buy the cheap ones. They will continually drop connection on you, not only do you lose shots but you also have to restart your session and occasionally restart your computer if it crashes it, which has happened on a number of occasions to me. When when you're on a job isn't a good thing.

I only buy the best I can for that kind of thing. One because of reliability and two because of fragility of the cheap-o cords.
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: Kitty on February 03, 2012, 10:11:52 am
Here u go.

http://www.granitedigital.com/firewire1394bdiagnosticcables.aspx

Is it really good? It seems their product is quite old. I have changed more than 10 cables for the past few years from many brands.
Now I order from https://www.1394store.com
It works fine but still need to change every a few months.
Just wonder if granitedigital cable is better?
Anyone ever use both brand?
Title: Re: For Tethering: Are All Firewire Cables Created Equal?
Post by: ChristopherBarrett on February 03, 2012, 09:26:24 pm
I'm using the same 3 year old cable that came with my P65+ and a Sonnet 400 - 800 adapter.  Never drops a frame... +35k exposures.