Luminous Landscape Forum

Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: RobSaecker on January 31, 2012, 01:09:15 pm

Title: open source colorimeter
Post by: RobSaecker on January 31, 2012, 01:09:15 pm
This might prove interesting: http://arstechnica.com/business/news/2012/01/red-hat-developer-explains-open-source-color-calibration-hardware.ars

"The ColorHug is an open source colorimeter. It's designed from scratch, and every part is 100% open source. All the other colorimeters you can buy in shops have proprietary code that means we have to reverse engineer the hardware to make it work on Linux, and then we can't modify the hardware to do something else, or fix bugs and add features like you can with open source hardware,"

Linux only at the moment, though you can create a profile in Linux and save it for use in Windows or OS X.

For more info: http://www.hughski.com/
Title: Re: open source colorimeter
Post by: Alan Goldhammer on January 31, 2012, 01:27:48 pm
ArgyllCMS is open source, operates on Linux and supports a variety of colorimeters and spectros.  I'm not sure this announcement is especially groundbreaking news.  I've been using Argyll to profile both printers and screen for a year now (Win7).

Alan
Title: Re: open source colorimeter
Post by: RobSaecker on January 31, 2012, 01:42:55 pm
What's different is that the hardware is completely open, as well as the software, and it's relatively inexpensive. If a community of developers forms around it, it may become very interesting, but only time will tell. Groundbreaking? I wouldn't make that claim.
Title: Re: open source colorimeter
Post by: hjulenissen on January 31, 2012, 02:50:04 pm
Very good news. I would have bought it had I not just shelled out for the i1d pro.

Hopefully, this will pressure the established players to open up their interfaces.

-h