Luminous Landscape Forum

Equipment & Techniques => Landscape & Nature Photography => Topic started by: DwayneOakes on January 30, 2012, 11:40:48 pm

Title: Wintergreen
Post by: DwayneOakes on January 30, 2012, 11:40:48 pm
Thanks for taking a look !

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

(http://dwayneoakes.zenfolio.com/img/s8/v12/p639017031-4.jpg)
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: Isaac on January 31, 2012, 04:14:43 pm
The subject seems very much to be colour - but I associate that colour negatively with reaching for a scrubbing brush and bleach, or the dank wall of a medieval dungeon.

There doesn't seem to be a way across that disjunction between the foreground rock and background forest - foreground and background seem like 2 separate photos.
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: churly on February 01, 2012, 04:53:15 pm
Dwayne - I rather like the juxtaposition of the color and the near monotones and certainly don't have a compulsion to scrub the moss off of the rock but I crave some sharpness in the foreground.  I think it would help bring the rock to life.
Cheers
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: jalcocer on February 01, 2012, 05:41:48 pm
I also think that they look like two different shots, maybe a bit more sharpness on the background or a bit lower saturation, well, at least that's my opinion, but I like it.
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 01, 2012, 09:44:16 pm
It's been growing on me, and I don't mind the unsharpness. Actually, if it were completely sharp, it wouldn't look like Dwaynes's work at all.

Eric
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: sdwilsonsct on February 01, 2012, 10:12:09 pm
Actually, if it were completely sharp, it wouldn't look like Dwaynes's work at all.

I agree. But perhaps the unsharp feel that is so effective in Dwayne's other excellent pictures is less effective on elements (moss, snow) that are unsharp naturally.
Nice picture.
Scott
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: Kerry L on February 02, 2012, 08:26:49 am
I like the colours but the composition desn't work for me. The bottom edge looks chopped off rather than cropped. I expect to see more snow. The apparent unsharpness/softness of the foreground is disconcerting.

The trees need to be de-saturated or at least de-emphasized so the foregnd becomes the main focal point for the viewer.
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: fike on February 02, 2012, 04:47:20 pm
There are great elements here that are not operating in harmony.  The muted darkness of the snow seems dirty, I would adjust the levels to get something closer to a pure white.  The snow covered trees in the background are awesome.  The green moss found against a snowy background is a cool idea, but it doesn't work too well in this case. 
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: shaunw on February 05, 2012, 06:12:21 am
 I really like the moss on the rocks you've caught the natural winter environment it works very well and doesn't need altering....for me it lacks only one element. There is no middle ground thus youve a problem of transition of foreground to back ground it is just too abrupt, for some the image ''MAY'' feel unbalanced.

well done for getting out there to get this one....i hope you got one of the snow covered trees in the BG...they look superb?

Shaun
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: DwayneOakes on February 08, 2012, 11:58:12 am
Many thanks everyone for your honest views on this one I really appreciate it !
I toned the green a tad for a more natural look.

Take care,
Dwayne Oakes

(http://dwayneoakes.zenfolio.com/img/s11/v33/p809100575-4.jpg)
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: Jeremy Roussak on February 08, 2012, 12:57:24 pm
Many thanks everyone for your honest views on this one I really appreciate it !
I toned the green a tad for a more natural look.
I think that's much better, Dwayne. I'd now worry less about being irradiated during a visit!

Jeremy
Title: Re: Wintergreen
Post by: Eric Myrvaagnes on February 08, 2012, 02:03:30 pm
A agree. Much better.

Eric