Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: John Camp on January 27, 2012, 01:55:11 pm
-
In another thread you (Jeff) mention that you and Michael are about to start a LR4 tutorial. Any idea when that will be out? Any feeling yet about how effective the soft-proofing is?
-
This really should be in the LR forum...
As to when it'll be out, not until LR 4 actually ships. Which will be...uh, before the LR4 beta expires...
As to the soft proofing, there are a couple of bugs in the beta that have already been fixed but yes, SP in LR is pretty darn good. Still not sure about the VC thingie...my preference would have been Snapshots because then the adjustments would live in the file not in the database...so I tend to do snapshots for print adjustments not use the VC.
-
This really should be in the LR forum...
...so I tend to do snapshots for print adjustments not use the VC.
Will you consider this (snapshot process) for the LR4 video?
-
Of course...
-
or maybe VC will finally be included into the file ;D
-
There is a plugin called Snapshotter which creates a snapshot from a VC.
-
Still not sure about the VC thingie...my preference would have been Snapshots because then the adjustments would live in the file not in the database...so I tend to do snapshots for print adjustments not use the VC.
I was under the impression that snapshots were similar to an image's history and would therefore also be stored in the database just like VC's.
Jim
-
I was under the impression that snapshots were similar to an image's history and would therefore also be stored in the database just like VC's.
Well, they can be stored in the database, yes, but Snapshots can also be stored inside the .xmp while VC's can not. Big difference...
-
Jeff, I do understand the difference between a snapshot and a VC but both can be used to achieve the same results in terms of modifying an image. I'm a little puzzled about why there might be this redundancy within LR and an explanation in the tutorial would be useful.
thanks,
Alan
-
Now that I have LR4b I don't want to use LR3, so wondering if my changes to my DNG files in the beta can be saved to the DNG ? Hope so! Eleanor
-
Newbie question: what is VC?
-h
-
Newbie question: what is VC?
VC = virtual copy. When you make a virtual copy of a file, it copies the existing settings from the original to the virtual copy. Virtual copies reside in the database and have no physical existence on the hard drive itself.
-
VC = virtual copy. When you make a virtual copy of a file, it copies the existing settings from the original to the virtual copy. Virtual copies reside in the database and have no physical existence on the hard drive itself.
I think you meant to phrase this differently. Of course they are on the hard drive since they reappear when you reopen LR the next time (at least they do on my computer).
-
I think you meant to phrase this differently. Of course they are on the hard drive since they reappear when you reopen LR the next time (at least they do on my computer).
Agreed, they do have a physical existence. But the size is tiny (it is simply some metadata).
-
Agreed, they do have a physical existence. But the size is tiny (it is simply some metadata).
To be more precise: about 25kilobyte. Established by creating vc's in steps of 100 and monitoring the increase in catalog size on disk.
-
I think you meant to phrase this differently. Of course they are on the hard drive since they reappear when you reopen LR the next time (at least they do on my computer).
Sorry for that. I was referring to the physical existence of a duplicated file. I did say the virtual copy existed in the database so naturally the database itself would grow in size to some degree since data is stored for the virtual copy :)
Jim
-
I'm not surprised there's some confusion over snapshots and VCs, and for age I've argued that Adobe should merge the two concepts. Snapshots are OldThink for those who use LR with a single-image Photoshop mentality, while VCs are more appropriate to LR's multi-image role (eg a b&w version of an entire shoot) but are let down by not saving to xmp data and perhaps cluttering up your Library with thumbnails. It's also worth pointing out that this isn't just about adjustments but VCs can have different IPTC metadata. Rather than dance on a pinhead and try to explain the two logically, I think it's better to list their different features, strengths and weaknesses - and acknowledge that there is some redundancy / messiness. Whether it's really worth Adobe tidying this up, when there's so much else they should have done in Library....