Luminous Landscape Forum

The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: Heinz on January 26, 2012, 02:37:10 pm

Title: Misty Morning
Post by: Heinz on January 26, 2012, 02:37:10 pm
Any thoughts on the tonal range and contrast in this image?
Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: sdwilsonsct on January 27, 2012, 11:58:33 am
Any thoughts on the tonal range and contrast in this image?

No. But I wish I had taken this.
Scott
Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: popnfresh on January 27, 2012, 12:05:04 pm
The tonal range is pretty good. Not much in the way of blocked highlights or empty shadows. Overall I think the contrast might be a tad hard, but it's a minor quibble.
Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: Slobodan Blagojevic on January 27, 2012, 12:58:43 pm
Since you asked specifically about tonal range and contrast, then I'd say your blacks are too black for a misty atmosphere. I also see artifacts of the clarity slider pushed a bit too much. The contrast in the lower part of the image appears to be higher than in the upper part too.
Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: mjrichardson on January 27, 2012, 01:23:35 pm
Hi

To me, the image feels a little disjointed, like the bottom right is from another picture entirely, I think you've tried to increase the contrast there when it probably wasn't necessary for the image as a whole.

I really like the centre strip, I'd probably lose the top and the bottom and leave a more accurate representation of that misty morning feel, I don't think it needs lots of tonal range and contrast.

I'd be interested in seeing a simpler version if you have one, the composition is really nice.

Mat

Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: jalcocer on January 27, 2012, 01:31:40 pm
For me it is a really nice image, maybe just need a little less contrast, but the tones look good to me, just my thoughts.
Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: Heinz on January 29, 2012, 10:56:41 am
Thank you for all the input. I will pull back a bit on the contrast a bit, infact, it is pushed quite high in my camera settings, will dial it down a couple of notches. Cheers.
Title: Re: Misty Morning
Post by: hjulenissen on January 29, 2012, 12:06:44 pm
I like the scene a lot, but I think that blacks seem a little clipped, and that the trees in the lower right seem a little artificial.

I wish I had the time and stamina to find such scenes myself.

-h