Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Colour Management => Topic started by: Quantum on January 24, 2012, 12:31:00 pm
-
I'm having extreme difficulties profiling this monitor NEC 2690WUXi2. - COLOUR cast profiles!
I upgraded to wn 7 recently and never managed to get my DTP 94 working properly - getting . I was advised anyway that this screen would be best profiled with another model such as the i1Pro as it supports wide gammut.
Now all this is fairly mind boggling for me...especially the settings within Spectraview Profiler (any advice here ???)
I was fairly (not completely) happy with the settings I produced on win XP with this monitor. SO I downloaded Virtual XP and produced a profile with the X-rite software and my dtp94 and thought I had it quite close again.
BUT I had spent £150 on telephone and emails with an expert here in UK to sort out the issue with win 7 and my monitor, and on his advice bought the i1Pro to get accuracy. SO I have downloaded the latest version 5 Spectraview Profiler and again I'm having PINK produced! During the iterating gray part of profiling the screen goes pink then doesn't revert and carries on till I get a ghastly profile.
I just can't seem to get anywhere near a reliable profile.
I have unistalled ATI catalyst manager and done TONS of research but at my wits end. Should I try out the i1 Profiler software in the meantime or can you advise me at all as to what might be the problem?
Should I manually delete old profiles?
Graphics card AMD radeon HD 6700
Cheers
John
-
I feel bad this has sat without a response for so many days so I'm bumping it up hoping someone familiar with the European NEC software can respond.
All I can tell you is that Spectraview II using the Spectraview II colorimeter (or several non-OEM models) sets the 2690's internal LUT and takes most of the OS issues out of the equation. And that it profiles my 2690's with ease and I've never experienced a color cast. I suspect you simply have a mismatch between software, colorimeter, and monitor. If you used the SVII software and colorimeter either your problems would be instantly solved, or you'd discover something is broken.
Good luck.
-
Ya, we all feel your pain but don't know what to say, exactly. It's working for most of us.
Here's a copy of the Spectraview II report I got from my last calibration session on my rapidly aging original model 2690. Do you see similar graphics and curves at the end of your calibration? And what brightness and color temperature are you specifying?
-
I'm having extreme difficulties profiling this monitor NEC 2690WUXi2. - COLOUR cast profiles!
What color is the cast? Is it showing in all applications or just color managed applications? Is it uniform over the display. We need more data!
-
Sorry for delay in replying and thanks for all your posts.
I think it's some incompatibility or wrong settings. I'm using windows 7. Can anyone post screen shots of what color managemnt settings should be?
Thanks
John
-
Sorry for delay in replying and thanks for all your posts.
I think it's some incompatibility or wrong settings. I'm using windows 7. Can anyone post screen shots of what color managemnt settings should be?
Thanks
John
Did you read them?
-
As I said during the profiling the screen goes pink during the part where it says setting white point and setting luminance. Then when it says iterating gray balance the screen looks pink so the grey patch is purplish.
All windows on my pc have pink where the should be white - i.e. all non colour managed programs like Firefox where there are white areas.
John
-
what are your calibration target numbers? I don't see that specified in the thread
-
Hi,
Just curious what problems did you have to get sorted out between windows 7 and the monitor? I just purchased a windows 7 lap top myself, migrating from a windows XP lap top. I have a NEC 2490WUXi2. My monitor is not wide gamut, but in any case I had no problems to sort out. I downloaded the latest version of Spectraview II (version 1.1.09) and connected the monitor to the lap top via DVI/hdmi converter cable. Spectraview ran without any problems and even uploaded the newly created monitor profile to the display settings tab under control panel automatically for me. My windows XP lap top didn't do that for me.
My suggestion is to use a different calorimeter/puck. Perhaps you can borrow one from a friend or rent one. I say this because the I1 puck that came with my Spectraview II software was crap. It resulted in a slight but noticeable magenta tint. It showed up on skin tones and grey/white backgrounds mostly. Luckily I had another supported hardware device, the Colorvision Spyder 3. This resulted in more pleasing skin tones and the colors seemed to match my prints (profiled with Color Munki) so I have been using that for the past 3 years.
Curiously, now that I am running on Windows 7 I have 3 hardware devices that will work (the original I1 puck which still produces reddish tones even on windows 7, the Spyder 3, and also the Color Munki version 1.1.1). Just for kicks I tried out profiling with the Munki and Spectraview. This resulted in a profile which at first was very pleasing. I really liked it for web viewing and after using it for a while my Spyder 3 profile started to look too green! However, the Spyder 3 profile matches my prints best, so I am sticking with that I think. Please note I am not advocating getting a Spyder. There are surely newer and better devices on the market today. I am just advocating trying something different which you may find works better.
I must say I am curious about the I1 Display Pro and what it can do for me. I'd hate to pluck down $200 just find out it was no better than what I have. Is it really a better choice to use with SpectraView than the Color Munki?
-
well, the DryCreek big calibrator shootout from a few months ago really handed the ColorMunki it's @ss and it's not recommended. I have one and have had good success w/ it.
I'm not in the mood to drop another $250 on another calibrator.
-
I'm beginning to think the monitor is at fault as when I do a factory reset I still see no pure white anywhere on my screen. What do you think?
Regards
John
-
I'm beginning to think the monitor is at fault as when I do a factory reset I still see no pure white anywhere on my screen. What do you think?
A factory reset should, if anything, give you a slight blue bias. Have you done the full factory reset procedure of turning off the display and turning it back on while holding down the reset and select buttons? This should flush any weird color modes. You will need to turn off the Eco mode and auto-whatevers.
Also, check your video card cable connections and that you have the correct input selected.
-
I've attached my validation results.
Ethan - thanks I've reset everything and checked cable. The overall look is warm. Al lprograms windows have no pure white.
The only thing I am really unsure about are the various dialog boxes in windows 7 color management. There are tabs for devices where I can see latest profile. Then go to advanced tab there are windows color system defaults and another one change system defaults which seems to bring up similar boxes. Confused. Anyone else got win 7 that they can walk me through?
Thanks
John