Luminous Landscape Forum
The Art of Photography => User Critiques => Topic started by: ivan muller on January 22, 2012, 04:48:09 am
-
Saw these boys playing soccer on the dusty streets of Philippolis...As always in South Africa getting them in front of the camera is no problem. To get them to stop clowning around is a bit more difficult but a stern voice often works wonders.... :) I couldn't decide which one I liked best, so here are both....only thing I am sorry about is that I couldn't give then a new soccer ball...but that's part of my new years resolution is to carry some balls (I am waiting for your comment Rob :) ) in my boot to give away....
Part of my three day 1600km journey to the arid Freestate in December last year that can be followed on my blog at http://thelazytravelphotographer.blogspot.com/
[img(http://i41.tinypic.com/2csb4mv.jpg)][/img].
(http://i41.tinypic.com/31479cw.jpg)
-
I like the top photograph best but, regarding balls, I have long been aware that most males appear to be afflicted with this congenital fault that compels them to spend their lives thinking about balls, throwing balls, hitting them with sticks or bats, catching balls, kicking balls, raving about the manner in which others kick balls (particularly worrying, the latter), confusing balls with versions of religion, and generally holding their own balls if all else fails, this peculiarity most prevalent in Mediterranean lands, where, in a spirit of kindness, it might be excused as a product of the heat.
Issuing even more free balls into this over-balled world is not, in my honest opinion, doing a damned thing towards the progress of mankind. In fact, I would advocate a bonfire of the balls. Then, at last, folks might at last enjoy a lazy morning or afternoon at the beach.
A pox on both your balls, as the Man might have written!
;-)
Rob C
-
I also prefer the first one (one of the kids escaped before the second shot), but I don't necessarily agree with Rob about balls, at least about soccer balls.
Eric
-
... regarding balls, I have long been aware that most males appear to be afflicted with this congential fault that compels them to spend their lives thinking about balls, throwing balls, hitting them with sticks or bats, catching balls, kicking balls, raving about the manner in which others kick balls (particularly worrying, the latter), confusing balls with versions of religion...
Rob, my whole life I've been puzzled as to why would a bunch of grown-ups chase a (mostly) round object, why would tens of thousands pay to see that live and millions over TV, and why would people obsess over, or even kill each other for it.
-
#1's nice, but #2 looks like a classic Minor White.
-
Rob, my whole life I've been puzzled as to why would a bunch of grown-ups chase a (mostly) round object, why would tens of thousands pay to see that live and millions over TV, and why would people obsess over, or even kill each other for it.
Perhaps its connected with not the hand of man, but the foot of man. You known, something like thinking with your ass and not your brain.
On the other hand - or foot - that's another place we seem to have had a meeting of opinions; I like this. Makes me feel I'm not totally insane or somehow challenged by my lack of globular ambitions.
Ciao -
Rob C
P.S. I see that I also coined a new word: congential. I wonder what I think its going to mean.
-
#1's nice, but #2 looks like a classic Minor White.
Except that Minor seldom did color (notable exception was the slide show "Slow Dance.")
Eric
-
Thanks to all for looking! not so sure about the Minor White comparison, but thanks anyway...... :)
Have to agree with you Rob, re the ball thing. I spend a fortune on world cup soccer tickets last year and apart from the great atmosphere and sense of occasion I would probably have enjoyed the games better at home in front of the tv.......and not having to listen to two fans (from the UK I think) at the top of their voices discuss the game, the ref and the state of soccer in general second by second in a strange accent ....I could have bought myself a nice lens instead.... ::)
-
You're right, Ivan. I was thinking of Paul Strand and wrote Minor White. Call it a "senior moment."
-
I like both, first one brings one attention to the whole group, giving me a unified story, and the second one kind of helps to isolate each individual and give you a bit more of a personal story on each one of them. But have to say both images look great and both give you something unique!
-
" Call it a "senior moment."
[/quote]
Don't worry, according to my children, I have many of those ......
-
I like both, first one brings one attention to the whole group, giving me a unified story, and the second one kind of helps to isolate each individual and give you a bit more of a personal story on each one of them. But have to say both images look great and both give you something unique!
Thanks for the reply, I didn't see it like that then but do now....
-
Thanks for the reply, I didn't see it like that then but do now....
Well, just my humble opinion, and for me both picture are telling me a lot!
-
Rob, my whole life I've been puzzled as to why would a bunch of grown-ups chase a (mostly) round object, why would tens of thousands pay to see that live and millions over TV, and why would people obsess over, or even kill each other for it.
... And I did not need to wait too long for the latest example :(:
"At least 73 dead..." (http://goo.gl/nLU1X)
-
... And I did not need to wait too long for the latest example :(:
"At least 73 dead..." (http://goo.gl/nLU1X)
Saw it on the news this morning (reminds me of a song from the Beatles...) and sums up the madness, lack of sense of proportion or reality that surrounds the mania.
I once had to go to a Celtic football match to shoot a recruitment ad for the Strathclyde Police. My brief was to concentrate on the edges of the crowd where the police lined the borders of the field. It was very scary. Turning a camera towards the people seemed to be taken as a hostile act. I got the hell out of there and back to the car well before the match ended. I was very relieved to leave them all to their own devices. I hate the roar of mindless, crazed mobs. I'd rather face an animal that only wants to eat me and has no personal agenda beyond that.
I don't know if the result was or was not higher recruitment.
Rob C
-
It's the circus (roman style), not much different in essence, the concept and emotions are the same.
-
... And I did not need to wait too long for the latest example :(:
"At least 73 dead..." (http://goo.gl/nLU1X)
The headline on the article you linked to now says "At least 74..."
And I couldn't help noticing a link to another article listed at the bottom of that one in which the heading is:
"OMG: Madonna admits she's nervous to perform Super Bowl halftime show."
Eric