Luminous Landscape Forum
Raw & Post Processing, Printing => Adobe Lightroom Q&A => Topic started by: Rendezvous on January 21, 2012, 06:39:13 pm
-
Hello
I have been having a look at LR4 with my last couple of sets of photos. I am liking the new features in the develop module but I have been finding that all adjustments are slow. By that I mean if I pull the shadows slider up there is significant lag before anythings changes on the image. After moving a couple of sliders the process becomes slower still. This is quite a contrast to LR3 where the changes are near instantaneous. Is anyone else finding the develop module slow?
I'm running OS X Lion on a 2011 15" MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM.
-
Check here in the official Lightroom 4 beta forum:
http://forums.adobe.com/community/labs/lightroom4?view=discussions
Tom
-
Yes, it's painfully slow on all platforms at the moment. Hopefully once out of beta it will be optimised and faster, but bits are so, so slow I'm not convinced they'll be good even out of beta.
Given the "we'll use the latest OS versions" attitude, it's a shame LR4 isn't making any use of GPU power when so many of us have powerful graphics cards used by other Adobe software idling away doing nothing.
-
Yes, it's painfully slow on all platforms at the moment. Hopefully once out of beta it will be optimised and faster, but bits are so, so slow I'm not convinced they'll be good even out of beta.
Since you have absolutely no idea how much the debugging code is, or may be, contributing to the perceived so, so slowness, that is a spectacularly pointless comment.
Jeremy
-
Since you have absolutely no idea how much the debugging code is, or may be,
I've tested a lot of beta software in the last 15 years and, most relevantly, I've used every public beta of Lightroom. I'm used to some bits being slow and getting faster on release code, but some of LR4 is spectacularly sluggish and based on past experience that poor performance won't be corrected in the first actual release.
I doubt if even the designers will know how well it will perform until the release code is confirmed, then there'll be the maintenance releases to try and get some bits usable on the bottom spec machines. Just like LR3 went through.
-
Thanks, there's some good stuff to read there.